Reeds, wrong or right?

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Reeds, wrong or right?

Postby Neo » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:53 pm

Hi,

Can anyone give me a run down on the right way to install the fuel in-take reeds?

It looked stright forward as there was a cut (marker) in corner of both the reeds and the cuved metal reed stops. This left me with both reeds having a 2-3mm gap. But something I saw on the web today indicates that only one reed should be open and the other should be closed. This is how I found the old reeds (and with both reed markers on the oposite side the reed stop markers), but I assumed that they were incorrectly installed. :?

Does anyone know what to do on this Sherco 290 .02 :?:

Many thanks.
Neo

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:53 pm

Neo,
I haven`t had a lot to do with reeds, but my understanding is that they should not have any gap, to the point where you cant see light through them. they should snap closed and seat perfectly against the mounting block face If you have a gap , this lets the crankcase compression escape back out through the inlet, or carburettor. This causes the incoming fuel air mixture to be disturbed, and give a soggy feel to the bottom end till you get the revs up.Also the bike would probably be hard to start. Similar symptoms as to a crankcase seal when they are leaking.
Cheers,
ShercoH

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:22 pm

Thanks Howard,

This confirms that the previous reeds must have been installed correctly. But one reed must have been worn. Due the fact it did have a gap.

Cheers.

Neo

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:39 pm

Neo

Knocking, kicking back, timing and reed valves???? It might be good idea to talk to Don???

I am not sure how much skill you have with bike mechanicals but you seem to be having a bad run :shock: . My 250 gets fuel and chain lube and gets ridden up to 15-20hrs a week when I can (120lt of fuel since Aug04). I'm not sure if it's a case of, if it ain't broke don't fix it or you need good advice. Hell put the tool kit away, stop worrying and ride the bastard :D.

Serously, one thing that comes to mind is the rev range you may be operating in. These machines can rev but that is not where they are built to run most of the time. Mine knocks and sounds shocking when in the upper rev range but not under load. It is not a tune or fuel problem it is just the nature of a high torque two stroke. If the engine is under load at high revs it runs clean and sweet. At first I thought the bike was running like a s%&$heap, now I know it is how it is!

Ride it, learn to love it and you will have one hell of a good time!

BJShercs

Ok Howard shoot me down again :lol:

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:05 pm

Thanks BJShercs,

On all mechanical things I'm not too bad, but I don't do this stuff for a living like Don. But what I don't know I love to learn. So I get more than just riding out of Trials bikes. I really enjoy the mechanical stuff and I get a real kick out of making it run “that” much better (which I usually achieve). My bike is about 3 years old. But I think it’s never seen a service in all that time (Despite being only 20min away from Don’s shop). I got it cheap, so I’m not complaining.

What you’ve mentioned is interesting. I’m currently servicing everything to do with intake and exhaust. Airfilter, Carby, Reeds and Silencer seals, all in one hit. But it may have just been a problem with the old reeds after all. When I start her up this weekend l'll see if things have improved. If not, I’ll move onto the timing :mrgreen:

Cheers.

Neo

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Postby BAT Woman » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:48 pm

Just one word of advice, don't bother Don with the problem, just listen to Howard. He does all of Sherco's mechanicing, very competently!
Catch ya!

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:50 pm

Thanks Howard and Thanks BJ,

The wrong reeds are righted now!!

And along with the other things, the engine now runs with crisp bite the power of the devil!! :twisted:

I really appreciate your help.

Regards.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:11 pm

Neo

It's a sherco/sherman tank if it can swallow fuel it goes. We can't figure out what u r prob was?????

Ask Howard, they have me at the OZ GP with my new gearing!!!!

Come south and have fun NEO

BJShercs

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:30 am

BJ,
Well even throw in a free set of knee scrapers with that gearing order.
Cheers,
ShercoH.

Return to “Technical help”