TY250a,b,c,d exhaust header pipe.

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

typarts-aus
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY250a

TY250a,b,c,d exhaust header pipe.

Postby typarts-aus » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 pm

Has anyone ever had the header section of their ty250 replaced and is is there a local supplier of a replacement section. I have been tossing up the idea of fabbing up some replacements. Is there a big enough market out there. Any ideas fellas. :?:

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: TY250a,b,c,d exhaust header pipe.

Postby FM350 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:27 am

Why not make a couple, using a bike to check they are right, advertise on Ebay and see if there is any interest? If there is then make a 100% accurate pattern and see if you can find someone to make a small batch out of 1.2mm stainless tube?

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY250a,b,c,d exhaust header pipe.

Postby David Lahey » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:17 am

I don't think that there are commercial local (Aussie) manufacturers but fancy stainless steel headers are available ex the UK.
If you can weld, they are pretty easy to make from pre-formed bends.
I would say that the total (TY250) market is so small, the Aussie dollar is so high and because they are already available off the shelf at a reasonable price, that it would not be worth making them here if your intention was to make a profit.
However if you love that sort of work (like I do) it is definitely worth making them yourself. It is also fun to experiment with different lengths, routes and diameters.
Another thought is that asian-made replacement steel headers are avaliable for common 1970s and 1980s Japanese trail and AG bikes but I have not tried to find one that fits a TY250.

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Technical help”