picking a bike

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

nifty191
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Yamaha TY175
Club: none

picking a bike

Postby nifty191 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Here we go again i hear you say! getting back to riding again after many years away from the sport. I am looking at the SCORPA range of bikes and have seen a few on this website, my biggest confusion is they all look very much alike only the colours change. would this be a user friendly bike for a new starter in the sport ? or any other suggestions on bike selection. A new bike is out of my range as i will not be looking to progress beyond C grade and just want to have some fun. your help on this subject is welcome.

Hazza
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: TMTC

Re: picking a bike

Postby Hazza » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:05 pm

hi Nifty,

To give advise on a bike we need to know a little about you and what riding experience you have, most of the 250cc bikes would suit the majority of riders, if you have some offroad experience and like at bit of power maybe a bigger bike, if you have a small build and little or no experience a 125cc may be for you.

In my opinion buying second hand is about finding a bike you feel comfortable on that is in good condition not so much about brands, so see what's in your area and get along to a trial to check out some bikes talk to riders maybe get a ride on some bikes if you can.

Post your location and I am sure riders in your area will let you know what's going on locally.

Good luck.

lachy
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: 2008 125 Gas Gas
Club: Western Districts Trials Club

Postby lachy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Hi Nifty , I have a Gas Gas 250 2011 model for sale nice condition Vets bike so good for C grade.
Brisbane location

nifty191
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby nifty191 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Ok sounds like you need some background info on me, i'm 56 years old slim to medium build i weigh 75 kg i'm fairly athletic i,m self employed (meeaning no time off work with injuries ) that's why i like clubman or C grade. went out and watched the nsw titles and liked what i saw, living in sydney, rode motorcross back in the late 70s did a bit of trials as well and enduros until mid 80s been into hot rods ever since.if you need more info just ask.

Hazza
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: TMTC

Postby Hazza » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi Nifty,

I'm 55 myself just got back into the sport after a 20 year break and I am having a great time, got my self a 250 Scorpa my 1st mono shock, rode 350 Bultaco's & Montesa's through the 70's 80's and rode twin shock in the 91 Oz titles in Qld and then rode through 92 season.

The 250's these days are on a par power wise to the 350's of the 70's & 80's IMO and I think would suit you by the sounds of it.

Just get yourself a good Bike and get plenty of practice, and have fun.

jacks1071
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: tba
Club: Central QLD

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:55 pm

nifty191 wrote:Here we go again i hear you say! getting back to riding again after many years away from the sport. I am looking at the SCORPA range of bikes and have seen a few on this website, my biggest confusion is they all look very much alike only the colours change. would this be a user friendly bike for a new starter in the sport ? or any other suggestions on bike selection. A new bike is out of my range as i will not be looking to progress beyond C grade and just want to have some fun. your help on this subject is welcome.

You should test ride as many bikes as you can to find what you like. If you're not looking to progress beyond the C lines, I would consider a 125 or 200.

My Dad is 60 and has started riding trials again this year after a 25 year break. I bought him an Ossa TR280i, its been a very steep learning curve for him but he practices 3 or 4 times per week and he's finally got a handle on the bike in the last two months that he can manage and ride it well. He rides C grade but does a few of the B grade lines and I'd say by the end of the year he'll probably be riding B grade although I don't want him doing anything he'll get hurt on.

Dad's happy with the bike but initially it was a really poor choice. If I had my time again I would have bought him a Beta 200 but it has worked out in the end, just has been a much steeper learning curve than it would have been on a smaller capacity bike.

I guess the up side is that he's not going to "grow out" of what he's got but that being said, everything he'll ever do you could easily do on a 200.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:08 am

125 or 200 is the bike 95% of riders new (or returned after long lay off!) to the sport will find easiest to ride, and also provide the best results.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:30 am

I think renting out the mrs and streching out the budget a bit and geting a montesa/Honda is the go, as you will most likely be still riding the same bike in your 90s, and maybe get more money back when you sell it. 8-[ :-"

nifty191
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby nifty191 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:55 am

You are being so helpful thank you so much, i think i'm geting the idea is to find the right bike in good condition and practice, i will keep looking at the classifieds here and ebay i hope i can find a bike but if anybody has a bike there thinking of selling contact me

nifty191
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby nifty191 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for all your help everyone picked up a 2008 scorpa sy250 from THE HELL TEAM thanks ANDREW & PAUL headed out this weekend to get reacquainted with the pleasures of bike riding after 30 years leave. And also booked into TRIALS EXPERIENCE in September. hope to meet up with everyone in the future

Return to “Technical help”