Bad Idea?

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshee
Junior participant
Junior participant

Bad Idea?

Postby Banshee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 pm

G'day again.....more questions.My forks (TY 250 R) have a few very small stone chips,feels like small grains of sand.I have a narrow Saphire oil stone for puting a polished edge on knives.Can I gently rub accross the tube to smooth them or should I just leave well enough alone?I have ordered new seals and covers from the UK as the present ones have a bit of a seep,just don't want to shorten their life to dramaticaly.Any help apprecited,thanks.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Bad Idea?

Postby David Lahey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:10 pm

If the damaged metal is sticking up above the normal surface of the tubes, it is good to stone down the bit sticking up. Try not to touch the stone on the undamaged surface of the tube.
If the blemish is a pit, stoning the area will only make things worse by roughening the surface around it. Individual pits usually don't cause much of a problem because seals are usually double, or triple lipped, and the lips are further apart than the width of a pit. If the pit is sharp edged (like a rust pit), the life of the seals will be less than otherwise. Pits can be filled with various things to give the seals a better life. Araldite, super glue and soft solder all work for this treatment.

relax, nothing is under control

phoenix75
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT Repsol
Club: Western Districts

Postby phoenix75 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:19 pm

I had a couple of scratches on my forks . about 4 years ago ... what I did was fill the scratches with 401 loctite which is the Loctite Superglue.... when it dried I just got the finest wet and dry paper and just smoothed them down.....and no leaks so far

VIVA MONTESA

Frank van Heerden

Banshee
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Banshee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Yep,tiny little 'barbs' protruding,can only realy feel them with my nail.It's a very narrow stone out of a jig (Lansky).I'll see how I go,might hold off on the filling as I'm worried about taking to much off.Thanks for that Dave and Phoenix.....this is a great site for the not so knowledgable like myself.

Return to “Technical help”