TY250 mono tyres

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: -
Club: -

TY250 mono tyres

Postby bird » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:16 am

G'day, Anyone recommend a good trials tyre brand that uses tubes?
And available in Brisbane.
Most branbds – like Michelin, Pirelli - seems to be tubeless which is not good for me.
Cheers bird

horde
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Yamaha TY250C

Re: TY250 mono tyres

Postby horde » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Bird

IRC tube types would be the tyre of choice, but when I looked for them, nobody had them in stock. I spoke with the Australian importer who said they may never see them again as IRC were in financial difficulty and stopped producing the tyre.

I spoke with the local Michelin rep, and they no longer bring in Michelin tube types. The Michelin rep tells eveyone that the tubeless tyre supports a tube and works fine on tube type rims. From what i've seen and heard, this is what most people are now doing.

I spent a heap of time chasing tube type rears about 6 monthes? ago and ended up buying a michelin tubeless. Havent used it yet, planning to rebuild the rear wheel with a tubeless rim. Apparently the Michelin tubeless can fold off a tube type rim at low pressure (4psi) but you could use a " tubeliss " in it to get the low pressures safely -google tubeliss tyre tube.

Hope this helps

Lachlan

Ferretflasher
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Ferretflasher » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Bird,
Noticed your thread on TC ... and down under here as well. This tyre issue is as old as the hills in Yorkshire mate and if you read the other TY Mono After-Market Parts thread else where you will see how this particular pommie gets around the problem.

You have 2 alternatives depending on your budget and skills level, these are; 1) fit a 32 hole tubeless rim to a standard rear hub (costly but best IMHO) or 2) cut the tyre down to fit a standard rim. Now as you may or may not know, a tubeless tyre is about 6-8mm (talking Michelin x-11 Lite here) smaller ID than a tube type. It has to be smaller to keep a tight seal on a tubeless rim, while IRC's have about 4-5mm smaller ID (this is why IRC's tend to lose air and deflate in rocky sections when fitted to modern bikes) but thats another thread and not our concern here.

Anyway back to old tube type & rims, these have a smaller 'interference' fit to the rim because we rely on the tube holding the air in and not the tyre. If you fit a modern tubeless Michelin to an olde-worlde rim (with a tube inside) at low pressures these tend to pop-off the rim and run all baggy and egg-shaped .. the tyre 'bead' is too small to seat on rim proper. Blow it up with 30 psi and it will seat OK but run 4 psi and it pops-off. Fitting a tube will stiffen the side wall up a little but if your riding skills are so important, why ride old TY Monos, just get a new GG. With old TY,s it dont matter a jot!!!!

My 'solution' is to use a small grinder to remove rubber material off the tubeless tyre bead to allow it (tubeless Michelin or IRC) to seat onto rim proper at low pressures. Now many may scoff and say its dangerous etc etc to damage tyre bead but I answer back by saying 'this 'aint Moto-GP' , we dont do super fast or ride into corners at 120kph!

So take a part worn Tubeless and grind away about 3mm from each bead, fit a tube and just 1 bolt to rim and you should be good to go. Savage on a brand new tyre I know but if you buy a pert worn or used once tyre, its less of a culture shock. I have 3 mono's and the 2 best bikes are fitted tubeless rims while #3 bike runs olde-worlde rim with ground down tubeless tyres ... and have done for 10 years matey !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks guys, much appreciated and so fast. Yeah, Flasher, been searching everywhere for info on tryres and begining to wise up what's obviously been an issue for awhile. Your solution seems sounds good, and a challenge. Cheers too Lach. I've heard of IRC but have yet to nail them locally.
I thought that getting a set of tyres would be so easy with so many dirt bike tyre brands out there, but not the case, at this stage anyhow.
I'm begining to curse taking off (more like hacking off) the rock-hard Michelins that came with the bike. Oh well, live and learn. Catch ya.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:06 pm

Monza Imports who bring in IRC currently have no stock of Trials tyres from that manufacturer. But Michelin do make a "tubed" type X11 rear as well as the Tubeless type. About $195.00

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 pm

Cheers Hell Team, appreciate the info. Thanks other blokes, too. bird

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Bird,
I see you're in Brisbane. You might want to have a chat with Kal Daley. He advertises on this site. You'll find his adds for KD Moto-Trials on the home page here. He has a business fairly centrally located at West End, and I've always found him good to deal with. I just bought tyres off him earlier this week.
Cheers,
Mark K.

bird
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby bird » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Thanks Mark K. Just got some tryes off Kal. Too easy – just 5 minuters from work.
Thank you Hell Team too for the good customer service. Another day guys.
Cheers.

GasGasGus
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby GasGasGus » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:35 pm

A Pirelli MT43 is a tube type trials tyre and should be fairly readily available from dirt bike shops (well around Melbourne, cant comment for other areas). It's not as soft as modern day trials tyres but was one of the tyres of choice back when TY mono's were te bike of choice. I bought one last year and had it on my dirt bike, think retail was around $140.

Return to “Technical help”