Engine Konocking which Fuel

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:18 am

Neo,
Sounds like your ignition has been messed with. It should not be knocking or kicking back. Give up on chasing the magical fuel as any 98 octane runs fine on standard ignition setting. 2.7 mm BTDC is the correct setting, the backing plate has a scribe mark that lines up with the casting on the case, set it to that and you`ll have a motor that will be far easier to ride, than what I imagine you have.
Cheers,
ShercoH 8)

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:07 pm

Hi Howard,

I’ve retarded the ignition after reading the “Sherco_Ignition_Timing_Guide[1].pdf” off of the Sherco Website. Honestly Howard you be shocked at how easy to start, quite and smooth the engine is now. I wouldn’t change it for all the tea in China!!

When I’m good enough to need any extra power I’ll order up a timing pin and TDC Dial and do the full business then. But I can’t see my self doing that for some time yet.

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:39 pm

Ah Neo,
Excellent !!!!!! It`s quite clever how they run with the factory settings. As for needing more power ??????????? I`ve been riding an 04 290 that was traded in, as I`ve sold my 200, and I can`t stop laughing at how much grunt the thing has. Definately won`t be wearing out the last three quarters of the carby slide. Great to hear your happy with the bike and that the knockings gone .
Cheers.
ShercoH 8)

Return to “Technical help”