Keeping it quiet – Trouble with the neighbour.

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Keeping it quiet – Trouble with the neighbour.

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

My 10 year old daughter (GGG) tries to get an hours practise every day, on our driveway.
At first this was happening between about 5:30 and 6:30pm. And most of the neighbours were happy to see and watch, with smiles on their faces. :D But a couple of them were “up in arms” with the noise of the GG70. :x So now she practices as soon as she’s home from school (between 3:00PM and 4:00PM) which is a shame, because it means I am not there to help or coach her. But one of the neighbours is not happy with that either. And has threatened to “come over and sort the situation out himself” :twisted: (as the police have already said their peace). Despite this mans verbal bull….! I need to try and achieve three things:
1. Find out where we stand with regards to Council regulations and the Law?
2. Do whatever I can to lower the noise of the GG70? – Howard I was kind of hoping that you could come up with some ideas to help me out here? [-o<
3. Have the bike assessed for noise pollution levels by some-body (Council or whoever?).

I’ve seen things (Spark Arrestors??) that go on the end of the muffler but I don’t know if these would have much effect or if I can get something for her GG70 that wont cause any engine damage or problems. I’m not concerned about any reduction in power as she is just practising balance and riding technics on our driveway.

Can anyone offer me any advice, in any of these areas above, that could help us out with this situation?

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:38 am

Neo,
what this clown doesn`t realise ,is you can make as much noise as you like between 10:00 am and 8:00 pm. But not to inflame the situation,try my solution. Buy a case of beer, apologise to this guy, say that you are working on getting a practice area, a better muffler, it`s a fad , she`ll grow out of it !! and anything else you can think of to appease his whinging. He`s going to feel so low at the way he`s dealt with the situation , he`ll want to be your best mate. Not sure if that`s what you want ? I`ve used this method and for a $30:00 outlay, you`ll be amazed at the outcome.
If that fails, a ski boat with open headers, and tune it whenever they have a BBQ, with the cooling water spray, blowing over the fence.Will definately have the For Sale sign up within a week. Used this method to great success also.
Cheers,
ShercoH :P

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant
Club: WDTC

Postby Rob W » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:01 pm

My Sympathy Neo, neighbours can be a real pain. Here are my suggestions.

Talk to your local council (can be painful). They have a "Compliance Officer" whos job it is to make sure council bylaws are followed. They will tell you a time when noise is acceptable and a time when it isn't. They also will know noise level requirements. Find out what they are and follow them. Understand that council officers have the hardest job in the world :?: , so be freindly and calm no matter how much they stuff you around. You will eventually get what you need and probably get them on your side.

Dick Smith electronics sells relatively cheap noise meters.

Any reason your daughter can't practice in the backyard now and then?

Any motor can be silenced to the point of vitual silence - just look at the cheap chinese 2t generators. They make about as much noise as an electric motor. Generally the longer the muffler the less the noise. According to my two stoke book - to make an engine quieter, maintain the stock inner diameter of the muffler but make it longer - you might be able to adapt something from a peewee 80, which have long (and heavy) mufflers in stock form. Otherwise keep the stock muffler well packed.

And without wanting to inflame the situation more, become a lawn freak and mow your footpath every day that your daughter practices. Remove the mowers muffler too. That way you can still watch her but no one will notice the bike. Also buy a truck or a V8 (see PA) and leave it idling out the front. Oh and make sure it has got a good big stereo so you can hear it over your mower.

Good luck

Rob

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:32 pm

Rob W wrote:Also buy a truck or a V8 (see PA) and leave it idling out the front.

Are you talking about my Trials Truck? 5.7 litres of Turbo Charged Diesel power.

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:12 pm

Neo

You have it easy!!!!

My nearest house is 200m away and the next over 1km, even the wacka with horses 3km away from my main riding areas hates me along with everyone in a 5km radius!!

My advice!!!!!

Go out and skin a pony!!!

Put the skin over the GG70 and say she has taken up riding a miniture horse with a cronic pharting problem!!

Or in the words of Mel Gibson "Hat'em back......it works for me!"

As far as a muffler goes you might find a bit of flywire stuffed into the pipe before the muffler is as good as any. I doubt if a reduction in HP will have much impact in the yard.

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Rob W
A grade participant
A grade participant
Club: WDTC

Postby Rob W » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:46 pm

PA wrote:
Are you talking about my Trials Truck? 5.7 litres of Turbo Charged Diesel power.

Thats not a trials truck - this is a trials truck - 400HP, 20 inches suspension travel, goes over anything and does 180kmph between sections. Sadly not mine anymore. But hey trials is a hundred times cheaper (and quieter).

Rob W

PA
2IC
2IC

Postby PA » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:10 pm

Parla_Gully wrote:hates me along with everyone in a 5km radius!!

Only 5km :?: :P

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:59 pm

PA

I'm working on it!!!!

It is big counrty you know!!!!!!

Give me time!!!!

Are you going for a red plate too.............I got mine! It's the closest I'll get one unless John Rees runs me over again :lol:

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

PA
2IC
2IC

Postby PA » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:50 pm

Parla_Gully wrote:Are you going for a red plate too.............I got mine!

Mine's already Black, something you can aspire too. :lol:

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:51 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Howard - I was attempting to cut a long story short before. But this guy used to be a good friend of ours. Who suddenly turned very hostile when we got our first two Enduro bikes, 8 months ago (which we don’t ride any more). Even though we never rode around our house back then. I really think he’s lost his marbles so I don’t think the beer trick will work this time. Besides, after the way he verbally abused my wife on the phone I’d rather spend my money on a court hearing.

I spoke to the Environmental officer at Gosford council today. Basically the level of noise is not the main factor. It is the type of noise and the frequency (amount of times per week) that is heard by who ever complains. Despite the hour of the day or the distance the listener is away from the noise. Motorbike noise is considered a non-residential noise. Getting the Lawnmower (or truck for that matter) running every day (in an attempt to mask the sound), would also be considered an unreasonable amount of times to cut the lawn every week.
So if the “Clown” were to complain and push it to a Magistrates court hearing, Gosford Council would support his case (not mine).

So as far as I’m concerned it’s "Hat'em back...... :twisted: ” and Gosford Courts here we come!!

Howard – is there nothing you can recommend that I can add on the end of this muffler. Maybe using Robs bigger box idea?

How much packing do I need for a “well packed” muffler?

BJ – can you tell me more about the “flywire” idea? – I like the pony skin idea. But I’ve decided to save that one until after the court hearing.

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Return to “Technical help”