2 stroke oil

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Re: 2 stroke oil

Postby Mark K » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:40 pm

David Lahey wrote:................. some people enjoy working on their bike motor.
Please explain. I'm not sure I understand the concept here. I work hard on the bike, pointing it in the right direction, grabbing more throttle, brake or whatever is needed, and holding on while it tries to buck me off over rough ground. The motor works hard too, hauling over 140kg of fat guts over any type of obstacles or up any hill must be hard work for a poor little old 175.

I've replaced occasional things when they've broke, like levers when I had a fight with a tree, or a cable when I didn't know the limits of my own strength. A couple of years ago I even went as far as putting new duct tape on the seat when it was falling apart. But what is this thing "working on a motor"? and who does that?

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:06 pm

ive used Valvoline 2 stroke oil at 50:1 for years without any probs at all..

Feet up, as always!

katostrom
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY175
Club: Denman

Postby katostrom » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:11 am

Hi Mark
Yeah I have heard about this working on motor thing also, don't think you need to worry about it, it's a bit overrated. I figure as long as that black funny shaped thing in the middle of the bike continues to make weird noises when you give it a bit of a kick ( bit like when the wife gives you a swift kick for not doing something or other around the house) its all ok. Anyway duct tape just won't stick to it very well so can't really do too much in the way of maintenance. Just keep on riding it and when it finally stops making noises just get a new one - you know just like a computer.
Hope this is of some help to set your mind at rest.
Regards

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:02 pm

katostrom wrote:................ when it finally stops making noises just get a new one - you know just like a computer...........
Firstly, and of no real importance in this topic, I don't like new ones. I'm one of those weirdos who prefer old ones.

Of much more concern to me though, is that any time in a competition when my bike makes as much noise as my computer does, it generally means a complete lack of forward motion. Since I don't have the talent to balance while I kick it into noisy mode again without footing - quiet time means 5 points, and nobody wants that... Unless you mean "stops making noises altogether", in which case I'd planned to refer back to this thread and investigate this whole concept of "working on the motor" whatever that means.

Return to “Technical help”