Bultaco Sherpa What To Do?

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

TerrY
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta 200
Club: WDTC

Re: Bultaco Sherpa What To Do?

Postby TerrY » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:00 pm

I think it is a trick of the background. The wheel in the background tricks the eye. A plain background may give a better idea of the frame integrity. Would that be possible to satisfy me and everyone else.

The other option would be to return the whole thing to its boat anchoring duties.

Cheers,
TerrY

nipper
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby nipper » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:56 am

TerrY wrote:
The other option would be to return the whole thing to its boat anchoring duties.

Cheers,
TerrY

:lol:

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:06 am

Back in the day there was a story going round at the Yeadon and Guisley club - late 70's early 80's - that Martin Lampkin was attacking a huge step, in his inimitable style, when the kicker collapsed and he hit the face of the step at full chat. The end result was a 'modified steering geometry' akin to Joe's suggestion.

The story goes on that Martin liked the new geometry so much that it became a Reg May 'engineered solution' albeit with a bit more finesse, for a number of the works and supported riders.

Allegedly, it was not uncommon to see riders up at Addingham Moorside riding into every rock they could find in an attempt to achieve the same 'works mod'.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul Mac

Mark K
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TY175, OSSA MAR
Club: WDTC

Postby Mark K » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:11 pm

TerrY wrote:I think it is a trick of the background. .........
I hate to say it, but I disagree. I enlarged the picture and held a straight edge of a page of paper against the computer screen, and it does have a bend in it ..... unless of course the picture is somehow distorted.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Mark K wrote:
TerrY wrote:I think it is a trick of the background. .........
I hate to say it, but I disagree. I enlarged the picture and held a straight edge of a page of paper against the computer screen, and it does have a bend in it ..... unless of course the picture is somehow distorted.

Mark, I'm glad I'm not the only one who puts edges of paper sheets and rulers against the computer screen. I'll have to tell my (young) boss that I'm not the only one to use a sensible technique to remove the effects of parallax error and visual tricks

relax, nothing is under control

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Postby Joe Henderson » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:58 am

Oh, Dog!

I am getting a bit off topic here, but in my work as a yacht rigger, I often have to make a decision based on rig and sail pictures.
These are usually taken from the deck looking up at the offending article.
The sideways squint along the surface of the paper is used a great deal, you are not all alone1

Back to topic, I have a late Bultaco alpina frame that is surplus to requirements and would probably take all the components of your bike, Mr Apocalypse ( a good name for Abbot with his blinkered view on climate cock-up ) .

I keep cutting my shins on it in the container, you or anyone else on this forum and in the wider twin shock group are welcome to it. pick-up from Londonderry.

I wonder what the collective name for a group of twinshock riders/fettlers/fanciers is? A "sadness" of twinshockers? A tragedy?

Good luck again with the bike Mr A, they are ALL worth saving and riding,

Joe.

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:07 am

Hi Everyone,

Just adding my 2 cents worth, as a fabricator and dealing with photos from undesirable angles, I use a straight edge against the screen as well!

My M49 frame has had the same misfortune or deliberate treatment and steers quite nice for a 40 year old bike!
Joe Henderson wrote:I wonder what the collective name for a group of twinshock riders/fettlers/fanciers is? A "sadness" of twinshockers? A tragedy?

Playing with old bikes can make me feel like a Goose and I think Geese are collectively known as a Gaggle, so my vote is Bikelle

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Postby Joe Henderson » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:31 pm

Bloody hell Paul, it's funny how things come back to you! I seem to remember hearing something about that way down in the Deep South on the Isle of Wight. I tried, with rudimentary tools and skills, to steepen the head angle on my 1969/70 slimline 250 that I bought from Gordon Farley motorcycles on the never-never, by cutting and lengthening the top tube by 1.5 inches. I pored to remove the engine from the frame during all this with the result that when I persuaded Sammy miller motorcycles to take it in part exchange for a new 151 325 they had to scrap the frame almost immediately and use the rest in a Sammy miller replica! It did steer better though .

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:20 pm

That's the problem with us old Poms mate... we remember too much rubbish... :D

Mrapocalypse
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 1976 Bultaco Sherpa

Postby Mrapocalypse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Hi,

Been away for a few months so missed the posts.

Yes, it has a bent frame. And No, I'm not gonna fix it. Kind of like how it handles and I like the Heads Up stance. :D

Besides, it helps dig into the sandy sea floor on anchor duties.

I.

Return to “Technical help”