[SOLVED] 2010 Beta EVO 125 grabby/snatchy/sudden clutch

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Gas Gas Racing 125
Club: Wollongong Motor Cycle Club

[SOLVED] 2010 Beta EVO 125 grabby/snatchy/sudden clutch

Postby jml » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Hey all,

Just picked up myself a 2010 Beta EVO 125 and I'm finding it hard to get my head around the clutch engagement. I will be popping the clutch cover off tomorrow to have a look at the quality & thickness of the clutch plates but has anyone ran across the same issue? The clutch feels like a light switch. I've ridden a Scorpa 125 and an old Gas Gas 270 before and they were smooth as butter compared to this.

I've read on other forums that there is a mod which includes filing down glue and flattening our surfaces of the plates, others have talked about replacing the clutch with a new smoother kit from Beta. Anyone have experience with this?

Edit: I also noticed this problem with both a slow & now my new fast action throttle.

Edit: This is now solved (read my latest post), Big thanks to Paul from thehellteam.com and David Ryan from Beta Australia for their help =D>

Regards,

cota
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: 2010 Beta EVO 125 grabby/snatchy/sudden clutch

Postby cota » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi, I did the Beta clutch job on my 2010 beta EVO 125 and 2012 EVO 200 and it worked great. Made it smoother, progressive and able to find neutral while engine running. Well worth the effort and takes time and patience. But worth it. But also consider what transmission oil you use and that then opens a long list of personal experiences.

I don't need help - I can fall off all by myself.

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby jml » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:30 pm

cota wrote:Hi, I did the Beta clutch job on my 2010 beta EVO 125 and 2012 EVO 200 and it worked great. Made it smoother, progressive

Hey cota, thanks for the reply. Before the clutch plate mod did you find that when trying to slip the clutch it was kind of like "nothing, nothing, nothing ,engagement!" (I guess non-progressive, ha), I find that this causes me to give it too much throttle as I'm trying to find a balance point and not getting any response from the clutch. Was this a similar feel for you?

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby jml » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:06 pm

After doing some more reading I'm very keen to give this a try: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/top ... lutch-fix/ I will report back on how I go with it all. Once I read it a little more it makes a lot of sense.

cota
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby cota » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:40 pm

jml wrote:
cota wrote:Hi, I did the Beta clutch job on my 2010 beta EVO 125 and 2012 EVO 200 and it worked great. Made it smoother, progressive

Hey cota, thanks for the reply. Before the clutch plate mod did you find that when trying to slip the clutch it was kind of like "nothing, nothing, nothing ,engagement!" (I guess non-progressive, ha).

Well, sort of - I had got back into trials on a Fantic 245 after 19 years away, so the 2010 Beta EVO was like riding a feather duster - so light and nimble and a light clutch compared with the Fantic, but as I am ever the one for tinkering, I had to give the Beta Clutch job a go and yes after I did the work I did find teh clutch less snappy and more progressive and able to gently ease through the clutch action particularly on tight turns. Sure, the better riders like the instant go when doing splat walls etc, but for me I liked having a clutch I felt I was in control of. And the other big benefit was being able to find neutral while the motor was running. I used Belray 75W Gear Saver Transmission oil but then went to using GRO Extrem 75W but in my latest bike (2014 Jotagas 250) have been using Putoline GP10 Gear Oil - which I also like.

I don't need help - I can fall off all by myself.

jml
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby jml » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:28 pm

Just an update on this:

It seems I was partly to blame for this! #-o The rotational position of my throttle tube was too far forward which was causing me to be on the throttle more than I should (think revving the bike and trying to smoothly engage the clutch) Even the smoothest clutch would feel grabby with too many revs. Also the other issue was the bike had the optional 2 thicker clutch plates (outer most/inner most) installed which supposedly gives it more grab to the end of the clutch stroke, as the clutch stack was pretty much brand new I replaced these two out with the standard plates. Combined with also dropping the idle RPM to around 950-1000 the bike is smooth as butter!

Return to “Technical help”