Keihin PWK 28

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Keihin PWK 28

Postby Rod » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:10 pm

As above, has anyone experimented with different needles other than the std JJH on a GG 300. I find this needle a little too lean even after changing to a 48 PJ and richer #3 slide. It's OK in the 1st/2nd gear sections but for hillclimbs or riding the trails between sections it is lean/knocking. The key to getting my GG 300 enduro bike running close to perfection was finding the right needle(triple taper), but I found that help on DBW. I've found Sudco's awesome needle jet chart for the PWK 28 but unsure what to try, I'm thinking JFG or KLG which are all single taper, no dual or triple tapers for a trials bike needle. About $22 each from Show & Go. Anyone got any suggestions? What have you tried? and how did it perform?

cota
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Keihin PWK 28

Postby cota » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:45 pm

One option for the price of one needle is the James Dean Jetting Guide - a series of worksheets in Microsoft Excel into which you can specify your current jetting, slide and needle and then play around with what would happen to the mixture through range and thus can try to model the ideal response prior to purchasing any jets or needles. Of course the ultimate test is riding your normal terrain and loads etc. http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/product.php?productid=27

I used this when setting up Beta Evos after adding Boyesen Reeds.

Just a thought.

I don't need help - I can fall off all by myself.

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:56 pm

Thanks Cota, taken onboard.

Chumley
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Gas Gas, Montesa

Postby Chumley » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Rod,

I have a 2011 Raga 300. We spoke briefly after the last SQTA trial and I mentioned moving the needle clip one position richer. It solved the problem on my bike but sounds like it was not enough for yours.

I'm guessing the standard jetting is the same on both our bikes but just for comparison this is what came in mine...

Main jet: 122
Idle jet: 45
Needle: JJH
Slide: 3.5

You might also check the float level, tank vent, and any fuel filter that may be installed.

All the best,
Chris.

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Rod » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:20 pm

Hello Ole Mate, yes the bottom rich clip is better, but I'm a pedantic prick, I want a needle that gives me that on the middle clip so I got room to move. I like to fiddle with jetting. You wouldn't believe what it took to find a good jetting setup for my '10 GG enduro ec 300 or for that matter my '05 enduro ec 300. Both were very different due to being AS1 and AS2 carbs, yet both shared the same inadequate N1EF needles. Jetting from the GG factory leaves a lot to be desired.

Return to “Technical help”