Sherco fork help

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

KTM39
C grade participant
C grade participant

Sherco fork help

Postby KTM39 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:57 am

Hello, I'm sorry that my first post is asking for help, but I've recently purchased a 2006 Sherco 290 and I'd like to start learning how to ride trials - I just need to fix the bike first.

I bought it relatively cheap knowing that it needed a little bit of maintenance work, but it turns out that it needs much more than I thought and it wasn't so cheap after all.

The forks are the main problem. They have deep gouges in both fork tubes. They either need re-chroming or replacing. I've shown them to two local suspension experts who I trust and they're both saying the same thing - at least new tubes and bushes required.

Has anyone done this before with the 38mm Paioli forks? Were they able to be re-chromed (as we're not going to be sure if it can be done until the forks are disassembled) and how much did it cost?

Can anyone suggest a good place to buy the tubes? I've been quoted US$700 plus shipping just for the tubes.

My other thought, and what I'm most likely going to do at this stage is to replace the complete front end with one from a 2014 Sherco. The Tech forks with triple clamps are US$1090.00 plus shipping. Does anyone know if the later model front end will fit the 2006 frame? What offset are the 2006 and 2014 triple clamps?

I'm thinking that I may have to press the 2006 steering shaft into the 2014 clamps to use 2006 size head stem bearings.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

JAKROO
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: nothing at the momen
Club: Pacific Park

Re: Sherco fork help

Postby JAKROO » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 am

I wonder if guys like these are able to help, it might be worth calling and chattign with them - if they can't do it, they might be able to point you in the right direction.... http://www.electrosil.com.au/

Return to “Technical help”