Extra bits and bobs

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Extra bits and bobs

Postby Neo » Wed May 18, 2005 10:00 pm

Hi Howard,

Really great to finally catch up with you last Sunday. Shame you didn’t have your 320 to show off!!

A few bike questions:-

I fitted one of your special brake lever adjusters to my Sherco yesterday. It had a very tight thread and I had to use a pair of pliers put it in. I’m sure it wasn’t cross threaded so is the tightness intentional, hold the bolt still?

Can you give me some guide lines on how to tell if my front forks are moving freely? They seem to move up and down OK but I’ve noticed that the front wheel lands very hard after a wheelie. And send a shock wave up both of my arms. I weigh only 60kgs myself so I’m also wondering if the front suspension is setup for a heavier (average) rider. – What do you think?

Also, I’ve fitted a new kick stand I got from Don. But because I’ve got the rear shock adjusted right down and the bike is lower than normal. The kick stand almost holds the bike vertical when it’s down.
Any tips in this area too.

Best regards.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Thu May 19, 2005 9:00 am

Neo,
The thread on the brake adjuster is very fine, and a few thou in difference will make it a tight fit, or a rattling fit. Front forks are very adjustable, try 2.5 and 5.0 weight oils and vary the amount to get different results, sounds like yours has too much oil possibly and too thick. You should be able to compress them 70 % of their travel by compressing them stationary.Try someones bike thats new . Your bike should only sag about 10 mm when you take it off the side stand, wind the spring up,!!! and it`ll be spot on.
Cheers,
ShercoH

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Thu May 19, 2005 9:16 am

Neo

I am not sure what forks your bike has and what adjustment it runs. Mine has an allen head in the top of each leg, one adjusts the spring preload, the other the dampening. Howard is correct, around 70% of travel should be easy to use and the balance taken up only coming down bigger steps. If you have the preload too tight it takes much more energy to hop the front. It also pays to keep an eye on tyre pressure, a bit too much air in the front changes the feel greatly.

I can't figure why you have the rear suspension so soft and the bike so low?????

Can't get your feet to the ground when sitting on seat??????

Using footpegs as training wheels????

Looking for an excuse to fit that lift kit???? :roll:

:D :D :D First day typing with two hands...........YIPPEEEE

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Thu May 19, 2005 5:33 pm

Thanks Howard and BJ,

I tired bouncing on the forks. I’d say it’s more like 30% than 70% so there’s work to be done here.
There no adjustments at the top of my Paioli forks BJ. Just the 2 blue air bleeders.
I used weight 5 fork oil, 330ml – is that the same as 330cc ?
Assuming this is OK would weight 2.5 really make that much of a difference?

I had a quick ride on a Montessa (no not the 4RT in Don’s shop) on Sunday and landing a wheelie was a much softer experience. Although I didn't check out the fork travel.

BJ, I adjusted the rear shock down because I was trying to get more bounce to hop the back wheel with (isn't this the same principal as adjusting the preload on the forks?). It seemed better at the time but now I don’t think it was the right thing to do.
It’s probably just me, but all this stuff seems quite hard to do when you weigh 10kgs less than the bike!!

Apart from lead ankle and wristbands, can anyone suggest anything else? :idea:

Otherwise I’ll just have to go back to the “Lift Kit” idea :mrgreen:

Sounds like your shoulders shaping up BJ nicely – you’ll be fighting fit in no time! =D>

Best on boulders!

Neo

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Thu May 19, 2005 7:07 pm

Neo wrote:It’s probably just me, but all this stuff seems quite hard to do when you weigh 10kgs less than the bike!!

Apart from lead ankle and wristbands, can anyone suggest anything else? :idea:

Neo

Pizza?

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Neo » Thu May 19, 2005 7:41 pm

Pizza?[/quote]

PA, There's is a limit to what I'll do for this sport :wink:

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Fri May 20, 2005 8:23 am

PA

You beat me to it! I was going to suggest an extensive training program involving hours of exercise to tone up the right bicep (drinking arm!) and an athletes power food diet of fish & chips, pizza and few good fatty lamb chops. But, sad to say Neo looks like he lacks what it takes (guts) to be true ozzy heavyweight contender like you and me! So we need a more technical answer.

Front suspension: Borrow the fork springs from GGG's GG 50 and try them in the Sherco 290.
Or, take one spring out altogether, that'll work!

Side stand: Take it back to Don for a credit and lean bike against tree!

Or, maybe just swap bikes with GGG, sounds like she will grow into the 290 faster that you :lol: :lol: :lol:

WARNING:

:twisted: The following image may upset women, children and people with a weak constitution!!!!! :twisted:

:!: However, it should be noted this is NOT a real person merely a very dedicated trials rider attempting to improve weight distribution and lower the centre of gravity :!:

BJ

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Fri May 20, 2005 8:59 am

OH MY GAWD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! FULLY SICK MATE
Neo, the only thing that will have been changed in your forks is the oil. It`s Shanes old bike and he wouldn`t have changed the springs. So try 2.5 and 5.0 weight and 280 cc will also give a different action.

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Fri May 20, 2005 10:40 am

Bruce, children and people with weak constitutions visit this site. You should put a warning up before showing images like that.

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Fri May 20, 2005 11:40 am

Ok PA

I have included a warning!

BJ

Return to “Technical help”