Just bought 1st bike (TY175) -what basic checks should I do?

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

jmorrocan
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: Just bought 1st bike (TY175) -what basic checks should I

Postby jmorrocan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:27 am

Just discovered an oil leak between the cylinder and the exhaust pipe. Cleaned it, rode it for 30 min, and its there again. What is this likely to be?

Hazza
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: TMTC

Postby Hazza » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:19 pm

It could be that the pipe is just be loose or possibly the gasket is broken.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:38 pm

There is a seal in that joint that might need replacing. They are not a standard size you can get from an exhaust shop but Yamaha shops should have them. Another alternative is to get a standard seal from an exhaust shop that is a bit bigger and cut a piece out to make it the right size. It is a bit tricky but is possible.
Also check if any of the studs or nuts are stripped
Also check if the collar that the studs go through is flat - sometimes they get bent by overtightening
Also check if the end of the exhaust pipe is actually flat and at the right angle to match up with the seal
If the joint is in good shape, it takes barely any force to keep it sealed.
The exhaust might be a bit bent which can make the mating angle for the joint wrong
If you need a quick job that will work until you have to pull it apart again, that joint can be cleaned up and sealed with high temperature silicon sealant
Also it doesn't matter to the way the bike runs if gooey black oil comes out, but if it is leaking exhaust gases it will have a slight effect on the way it runs, and will sound bad

relax, nothing is under control

Trango
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: gas gas 300
Club: WDTC

Postby Trango » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:00 pm

whitehillbilly wrote:Hi, Hazza,
fuel mix of 80:1 should work well ????
I used to run my TY 175 at 25:1
Have oils changed that much in 25 years.
My Boat and Stihl chainsaws, brushcutters run 50:1

whitehillbilly
I run my 2011 gasser at 50/1 with TTS castrol oil. I have heard the argument that trials bikes work at low revs so they don't need a rich oil mix. I just think about when they do need to rev hard (like a chainsaw or brushcutter) they should have the extra oil. Better to be over lubed than under lubed.

jmorrocan
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby jmorrocan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:04 pm

I will check it out as per your suggestions...Thanks fellas!!

Kombivan
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 349 Cota
Club: NA

Postby Kombivan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:04 am

might be good oils but the bearings and seals are still old school in many bikes especially montesas and bultacos so when mine is running its going to be 150mm 2 stroke marine oil in 5 litres thats about 30:1 but first tank will be 20:1 (200mm in 5 litres) then if the pulg fouls I will thin it a bit more after listening to the engine with a stethascope just to be secure about lubrication. No way will I be going 80:1 in an old engine. Also bear in mind most bearing now days are made in china and some of the steel isn't as good as the old australian steel.

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:31 am

Wouldn't 2 stroke marine oil be for a water cooled motor, which would run cooler than an air cooled motor?

KTM39
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby KTM39 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:38 pm

Marine oils usually have an additive to absorb water from fuel. A cap full of metho in your tank does something similar.
Marine oil also usually has some stronger dye in it so that you know for sure when the fuel is mixed.
An open loop water cooled marine engine should run at the same optimum temperature as a closed loop cooling system. They have restriction in the water lines to limit the flow of cold water.
I raced 2 stroke jet skis for many years and marine oil does the same thing as bike oil. Usually, marine oils are cheaper/lower quality due to the volumes involved in feeding a 200hp egg beater and the fact that most boat owners aren't rev head enthusiasts like us bike riders who are prepared to pay through the nose for synthetic racing oils that run a little cleaner.

nazzy175b
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty 175 b

Postby nazzy175b » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:54 am

nice looking machine very tidy, mate im in the same boat ,just picked up a 76 ty 175 to do a bit of training and plonking around no comp stuff ,mine is pretty sound mech wise clean motor ,but has all the hallmarks of a classic chook chaser ,ancient rock hard nobbys the gaurds were chalky soft ,mine too has a leaky looking header gasket ,some crazy looking rear shocks ,im doing some mods budget style from old parts I had ,drz footpegs fit with a little tweak ,some better bars I had , got a throttle cable and tube assembly from a pit bike shiop worked a treat ,dropped the forks down as was mentioned ,will change the fork oil tmr,look forwards to your progress ,cheers greg
Attachments
DSCN3967.JPG
DSCN3967.JPG (90.66 KiB) Viewed 29026 times
DSCN3957.JPG
DSCN3957.JPG (190.85 KiB) Viewed 29026 times
DSCN3956.JPG
DSCN3956.JPG (188.14 KiB) Viewed 29026 times

some days you just have to ride !

Return to “Technical help”