Backward Bultaco is it true???

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Backward Bultaco is it true???

Postby BJ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:40 pm

This is reply post I got from another forum-

I remember an old Bultac Sherpa-T that I owned. Lot of fun on that. My brother was mucking around one day and pushed the bike with me on it backwards. I dropped the clutch the bike strted, and proceed to kill myself as all the gears were operating in reverse !!

After practice we managed to do this on call and managed to ride the bike quite successfully in reverse gear. Made the neighbours sit up and look !!

Is it true? Can anyone out there ride a bike with a motor running backwards?????

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Backward Bultaco is it true???

Postby David Lahey » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm

You can do anything with practice - haven't you seen what Christian Pfeiffer can do on a motor bike?

What's the difference between that Bultaco story and when we used to be allowed to roll backwards without penalty in trials sections? Stefan Merriman was quite good at it at the time. I have only done it successfully for a couple of bike lengths as a lark but I'm sure there are many people who incorporate it in their riding practice.

I think if you had to face rearwards on the bike as well as travelling backwards it would be a bit harder. My kids can do it (ride backwards facing backwards) on their off-road scooter quite successfully downhill so it would probably just be a matter of learning to use your left hand for the throttle on a motorbike.

relax, nothing is under control

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:59 pm

Rob White does it. At Glenmaggie he started his bike and it was running in reverse direction and managed to ride backwards then get the motor to start running normal and did it all without footing. Bloody show off.

motodevo
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby motodevo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:39 pm

most 2 strokes will do this, due to the timing being only a degree or two from top dead centre. I had a scary experience fixing up and old dt175 for my mates missus, the stator was stuffed so we swapped it for a later model one i had lying around, bike started first kick so i clicked her into gear and dropped the clutch with a handfull of throttle and she roared off .....backwards!!!! #-o Seemed the later model stator plate has windings that are tweaked around about 5 degrees. After we put the new windings onto the old stator plate, neither of us wanted to test ride it. :shock: Atleast the dint in the garage door was easy to pop out.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Postby Stu » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:56 pm

Yep it's TRUE! My old Sherpa T did it to me once. Scared the hell out of me as well. After cleaning the points, I tried to start it and it let out a cannon shot that echoed thru the valley when it back fired! :lol: After a couple of minutes I dared tried to start it again. This time it proceeded to head for the fence backwards. I hit the kill switch real fast and kicked it into life again. Ok, it started and it was running the right way finally.
It never did it to me again, and I was very careful doing the points also...

Feet up, as always!

JetLag
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby JetLag » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:33 pm

Tried to ride an old yamaha 100 ag bike up an irrigation drain, stalled half way up and used the clutch as a brake going back down backwards (other brakes didn't work), ended up halfway up the other side on my arse when the motor fired up in reverse =D>

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

Postby richardr » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:39 am

Over 30 years ago, I saw a Bultaco sidecar outfit attempt a steep climb, just as the bike was about to clear the top, it ran out of puff, stalled for a fraction of a second and then re-started BACKWARDS with the engine running full-throttle, because the rider still had the throttle wound right out.

The bike and 2 passengers shot back down the hill then the bike cartwheeled and a footpeg speared the passenger in the upper thigh. nasty wound, but it could have cut his femoral artery and he would have bled to death.

I made a mental note back then, not to ever ride a Bultaco.

colin jay
C grade participant
C grade participant
Club: Clare MCC

Postby colin jay » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Richard,
Back in the early 80's while competing (in South Oz) with a 350 Bully outfit we did pretty much as you describe while riding a steep climb in a section. All who saw it happed though it was quite entertaining.

We used to run with the ingition time advance a few degrees more than it should be, and found that if we got the engine to almost stall, them clutch'd it, it would run backwards. We actually rode between a few sections in "reveres much to the enjoyment of the other riders and spectators. The outfit handled like the preverbialy PIG going backwards though.

During the 70's I saw the same thing happen numerous times with the mate,s Yamaha RT2 360. Watching a guy "nut" himself as his bike shoot backwards between his legs will always be funny and would probably earn you a few dollars from Funny home videos now days.

Colin

gasman
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 07 gg 280
Club: RTC

Postby gasman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:24 pm

My brother managed to get his 06 sherco to run backwards. The weird thing is that he was rolling down a hill kick starting it? very funny he s%^t himself.

Return to “Technical help”