Handlebar positioning.

The place to discuss your riding techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

dad
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: ty 250 N
Club: LRMTC

Handlebar positioning.

Postby dad » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi all,

A question about positioning of handlebars.

I've heard and read about having them forward will quicken up your steering and having them back will slow the steering.

What is forward and what is back?

On my ty mono I always felt like the front end was 'twitchy', the bars were 'forward'
I think. I saw on some old ty promotional pics that when you looked at the profile of the bike the bars were in line with the forks.So I've pulled them back to the same position and yes it has settled the 'twitchyness'.

Should I now move them back further from this position?

Peter

God doesn't make mistakes, but you are proof that he has a sense of humor. - unknown

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Handlebar positioning.

Postby David Lahey » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:32 pm

Moving them forward increases the amount of force needed to control the steering and also gives you more room to move around. Moving them back requires less muscle effort to steer, but you can become a bit limited in how much you can move around. I reckon have them as far forward as you are strong enough to be able to ride with. It might feel pretty cruisy with them back with the risers in line with the forks, but if you train enough, you will find it will still feel cruisy enough with them further forwards, and you will be able to control the bike better.
A riders height and arm length come into the equation too. Unless the rider can get their weight way back, there may be issues riding down drop-offs. This may limit how far forwards the bars can go for some people.
The standard riding position on mono air cooled Yamahas is quite radical, especially for taller riders - the footpegs are way too high. If you are serious about getting your riding position ideal, I would be relocating the footpegs, if they haven't been moved already.

relax, nothing is under control

dad
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: ty 250 N
Club: LRMTC

Postby dad » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks for that David,

Drop offfs have been a bit of a problem previously.Now it feels more comfortable and a bit easier to control as my weight(and there's plenty of that :oops: ) has shifted further back.

It would seem that to keep them where they are now and progressively bring them forward
would be the way to go.

Lowering the pegs sounds like an interesting option, Do you have any tips for doing this.

Peter

God doesn't make mistakes, but you are proof that he has a sense of humor. - unknown

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:16 am

This link is for a site that lists quite a few improvement mods for the TY350, including the footpeg relocation. The TY350 frame is pretty much the same as the air-cooled mono 250 frame.

http://myweb.cableone.net/bcanderson/Mods.htm

David

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Trials Tips & Techniques”