Xispa

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

bigdamo
B grade participant
B grade participant

Re: Xispa

Postby bigdamo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:44 pm

I see in the online magazine the xispa is now linkless suspension so it can not be a copy of Sherco maybe it is now a copy of Beta or dare I say it Scorpa :shock:

This bike is evolving in front of our very eyes.

gordonmichaellee
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby gordonmichaellee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:48 pm

I've got one of these chineese 50cc trail bikes for my 4 year old. honestly you could follow its trail with a metel detector, it drop so many bolts.
Funny though, as I was reading this post what sprung into my head was the thing about Japan. then I read it latter written by another. I too am a Dad.

I now own, a Hino truck ( toyota japan ), a Hilux ( toyota Japan ), a celica ( toyota japan )
2 Honda's ( japan )and a montesa 315r ( HRC japan ).
and when I buy a bike or car or truck it has to be very cheap to convince me to go away from the japaneese.

the same thing will happen with the chineese, what you need to look out for is when the product has reached the same standard but the international opinion is that they are a cheap product. this happens for about 8 - 10 years. then when the product/ company is proven it will go up in cost just like the japaneese products.
this has just about happened with power tools. ( I'm not saing they are a fantastic product but that you can hardly justify buying a german one at 10 times the price)
ANYWAY WAS THE HELL AM I GOING ON ABOUT MY DINNERS READY.

bigdamo
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby bigdamo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:56 pm

gordonmichaellee wrote:I've got one of these chineese 50cc trail bikes for my 4 year old. honestly you could follow its trail with a metel detector, it drop so many bolts.
Funny though, as I was reading this post what sprung into my head was the thing about Japan. then I read it latter written by another. I too am a Dad.

It affect you in strange ways doesn't it.

Why don't you try checking them before you go for a ride.

funnily enough my Scorpa drops bolts too if I don't keep on checking them, especially the rear guard bolts.

Maybe the Chinese could design a bike that needed zero maintenance.

Then everyone would buy one :D

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:37 pm

richardr wrote:Ok . . . Probably pronounced more like "Chispa" than "Shispa" . . but close enough. . .

Management at the Sherco factory in Spain probably pronounce it "F&*@ Chinese SHi#$% - pa"

I love your Sherco factory pronunciation Richard. I've tried it out aloud a few times while my kids were out of earshot and it has quite a ring to it.

Remember when Hyundai cars were first imported into Australia? For years we called them Hyundie before the Australian importer started an ad campaign trying to get us to say Hyunday. I still haven't changed to Hyunday yet.

How about we start calling Xispas something distinctly Australian before the name gets too entrenched? Any ideas anyone?

About the naming of Xispa, like Richard I assumed that it was the Chinese connection that combined Chispa with the X that so many Chinese words start with (and some Spanish words too). I actually like the idea that the name has a Chinese connection and the quote about the naming doesn't actually say where the X comes from so I'm sticking with the original notion for now.

It wouldn't be the only bike brand that had different pronunciation in different parts of the world. The US has quite different versions of popular brands to us already. One that made me laugh when I first heard it was an OSSA-owning guy from the South of the US who says
"OWE-SA" instead of our local version "OSSER". Then there is Yar-mar-har instead of our Yam-mar-ha, Bul-tar-co instead of our Bul-tacc-o. Another is Monteesa and Montayessa and Montessa. What fun. I think I'd better stop now and put the kids to bed.

relax, nothing is under control

richardr
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Gas gas TXT 250

Postby richardr » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:32 am

Maybe we should give it an Aussie pronounciation - combined with the dry Aussie humor - and call it a VESPA?

junior
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: '02 Sherco 290

Postby junior » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:29 am

David Lahey wrote:
richardr wrote:Ok . . . Probably pronounced more like "Chispa" than "Shispa" . . but close enough. . .

Management at the Sherco factory in Spain probably pronounce it "F&*@ Chinese SHi#$% - pa"

How about we start calling Xispas something distinctly Australian before the name gets too entrenched? Any ideas anyone?

Being a Sherco owner I'm going to suggest the name shitspa.

'02 Sherco 290

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 am

It’s interesting to read the comments here and on Trials Central about Chinese manufacturing so I thought I’d share a few more 'Chinese engineering experiences’

We have a number of industrial clients who have their components manufactured in China. Truth is, the Chinese can and do manufacture to ‘specification’ really well. I.e. set the spec and the QA rules and you can get some very high quality product. If you don’t set the specs and don’t police them it can be a different story.

If I’ve read the reports correctly, it seems that the XISPA boys have a QA process in place and will be assembling the bikes in Spain – my sense of it would be the bikes won’t be much cheaper because of the Spanish labour costs and the QA processes. And as to the 'Quality' – not sure it’s a Chinese issue, seems to me it’s all down to the XISPA boys as they’ve specified component quality AND their doing the assembly/QA in Spain.

Paul Mac

junior
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: '02 Sherco 290

Postby junior » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 am

what about chingspa?

or seeing as we're not too sure on how to pronounce it what about Lispa?

'02 Sherco 290

bigdamo
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby bigdamo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:44 am

Paul M wrote:It’s interesting to read the comments here and on Trials Central about Chinese manufacturing so I thought I’d share a few more 'Chinese engineering experiences’

We have a number of industrial clients who have their components manufactured in China. Truth is, the Chinese can and do manufacture to ‘specification’ really well. I.e. set the spec and the QA rules and you can get some very high quality product. If you don’t set the specs and don’t police them it can be a different story.

If I’ve read the reports correctly, it seems that the XISPA boys have a QA process in place and will be assembling the bikes in Spain – my sense of it would be the bikes won’t be much cheaper because of the Spanish labour costs and the QA processes. And as to the 'Quality' – not sure it’s a Chinese issue, seems to me it’s all down to the XISPA boys as they’ve specified component quality AND their doing the assembly/QA in Spain.

Paul Mac

I can not understand why they would not assemble in China.Well maybe they have a say in the final quality control.Why would you not set up some of your people in China to oversee the final quality control.

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:58 am

Yes you'd think so because it's labour that's cheap in China not metal, but If I've read the MotorCross digital report correctly they say that was their initial intention but now...

Quote “the XISPA Owners Mesaguer and Tuzon have decided to do their procurement in China but certification, quality and mechanical processing all done in Spain”

Lots of lines to read between there me thinks…

Paul Mac

Return to “Trials Talk”