Australian Womens Championship

Discussions, newsletters about matters relating to women in trials.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Re: Australian Womens Championship

Postby Neo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:02 am

Hi gesswho,

guesswho wrote:How do you propose that a bus with a trailer would save money????
Who has a bus??? And a trailer big enough for all the bikes and gear???

You obviously know more about buses than I do. But my main point was a that a women, travelling together, could support each other. And maybe make the experience less daunting....But you'd know much more about that than I :-s

guesswho wrote:Can i ask why you didn't venture to the Aussie titles???

Yep, you can. :wink:

guesswho wrote:I think you putting the blame on Bev is out of line.

Putting the blame on Bev :-s #-o ....no sorry I was praising Bev for the fantastic work she did at the Sherco Womens Cup. That why I believe there was 17 women there....Bev, I hope you read it like that too? [-o<

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Axel
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Axel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:52 am

This is definitely something that needs to be addressed, probably at club level on club days by just getting the women together and discussing this. It may be a year long plan to encourage the girls on and then support with transport.

Bus may be too expensive, perhaps, but I think the point was to share transport and share cost. How many competitors had space in their car and trailer for an extra rider and an extra bike? This again could be discussed and encouraged at club level, and not just the week before the championships. Start the discussions and plans now. Ask for volunteers that could possibly take an extra person and bike if required and get together a list within each club.

It is an enormous commitment financially and time wise also for parents to follow these events with children, especially if they have children in other sports. The offer of a lift from someone within their own club that they know well could be the answer for many.

The extra junior classes have certainly increased the rider numbers at the championships. My concern is in future years what happens to them when they reach 21? If they are not open solo standard, what happens to them until they reach 30? In my opinion, boys in this age group would possibly be the largest buyers of motorcycles in this country but they are not catered for. Of course, organizers have to be careful to not end up with far too many classes and need to keep re-using existing lines and grades so as to not put extra work on themselves and observers. Open solo B has been used before. Was it a failure? Couldn't t be run on masters lines? Perhaps only the higher level juniors, womens's, open solo class, etc. could be the championship class and the others receive a lesser award? The rider then has a choice if they want to compete for the open title within the class, but still get to compete if they want to. I am only a family spectator in this sport and not a rider, but this is how I see it from "outside the square".

Neo, I thought you were paying Bev a great compliment! One that she rightly deserves! The title "Aussie Titles Women's Team Manager" sounds fitting.

paulm
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: BSA Bantam
Club: Wollongong MCC

Postby paulm » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Tony C wrote:Hi girls & others,
Now that riders have had time to evaluate last weekend, we, the 09 organisers would like to know some of your thoughts for next year?
After all, the weekend is all about the riders.

Tony C.

Hi Tony

I think your ideas are bang on the money... The UK is struggling with the same problem (See Rappers note this week) For sure the Aussie Titles are about the elite in our sport but without the rest we don't have a sport - and if MA will not buy it, what's wrong with running Support Classes along your thoughts surly they can't have any objection to that... It would be interesting to hear more views- perhaps you should put up the same post in the Main forum.

Paul Mac

sdeane01
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco
Club: TCC

Postby sdeane01 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:54 pm

I too fall into that area of not being good enough for open solo, too young for vets or masters and too old for vets. As a result I did not have the chance to ride. Support classes would be a great idea, and they don't have to be a oz title either!!!

GassaGirl
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: GasGas 125
Club: TCV

Postby GassaGirl » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:15 pm

Another point to mention though is, if we have a class for everyone, then who will help out with the running of the event?

Alot of you may have noticed at this years Australian Titles and many years that have past that, alot of the observers and people just generally giving a hand were people not eliglibe / up to the level of standard to ride, but willing to help out.

If everyone is eligilbe or able to ride, how many will still put up there hand to hand out and give up their opotunity to ride?

Plus more classes does put more stress on section setters, observers etc.

Maybe you just have to be mature enough to accept that you will miss out on one event for the year and come to terms with the fact that it is an Australian title, for the elite riders in our country.

Axel
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Axel » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Gassagirl, you certainly have a point and many would agree with you. The starting of this post was about why there were only 5 women entered at the Aussie Titles and yet 17 at the Womens Cup. Sure, you have a point, but if those in the sport want more female participation, these issues have to be addressed. If the women wish to continue to have a TDN team funded by MA and the Sports Commission, then the amount of women participating has to grow. This funding will not continue to be available for just 3 women each year.

I totally agree that the Aussie Titles is to find the best of the best in the sport. I do though feel that more is being provided for some age groups than others. We are now awarding three junior champions but nothing for the guys aged 21 to 30 if you aren't open solo standard, which is getting higher and higher each year. The veterans class is massive and seems to cater for all levels, no matter your standard or age! In fact, the older the better! Why not limit the veterans class entries and use those that miss out as observers???? Would that not upset anyone???? Cut out 15 veterans and run an Open Solo B class. It would spread the ages better! The younger classes and womens need to grow more for the sport to grow. Discussions like these only attempt to provide the best event possible for the largest amount of riders. Australian Titles do not have to be awarded to each of these classes, and just re-use already existing lines. Why not make the requirement that all those entering in a non title class provide a worker? That might scare a lot away, but might provide 2 extra workers. There are lots of options to look at and these types of discussions often come up with solutions.

If only I was allowed to sit on one of the bikes in the shed - I could front up in the women's class!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:26 pm

Axel wrote:If only I was allowed to sit on one of the bikes in the shed - I could front up in the women's class!

Huh? Axel, your gender neutral name had me fooled for a second. I have since worked out that you are a women who is not allowed to ride the bikes in your shed.
My first thought was that you were a bloke and that there might be some magical gender-bending bikes in your shed - then logic prevailed.

relax, nothing is under control

seiko
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: montesa repsol 4RT
Club: RTC

Postby seiko » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm

I would of loved to come down for the womens cup as well as the aussie titles.... but the trip down from gladstone to Canberra / Victoria twice a year is just not an option, particulary on my own. When the Titles come QLD then I will be able to go, as for the Women cup, well that is advertised primarily as a ladies tornament.. so I support it as I can. Unfortunetly I will not be a position this coming year to compete at all... moh... :-( but look out 2010! 8)

kristie
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: scorpa
Club: pacific park

Postby kristie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi all,
With the season about to kick off again thought I might try and give this thread another kick in the guts...
Mostly just interested in the womens side of things and trying to develop and encourage the already existing womens class (so for all other arguements ie veterans and extra classes I am sure there is another thread)
Am interested to know at this stage how many girls there are intending on riding the Aussie titles? Or even who is competing this year and wether any of the girls would be interested in arranging a ride day/weekend?

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Postby PA » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:03 am

Elyse will be riding this year at Glenmaggie, locally and the titles all being good.

Return to “Women in Trials”