KT250 resto...help appreciated

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

SQUAT 405
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: beta 13 factort 300
Club: S.Q.t.A.

Re: KT250 resto...help appreciated

Postby SQUAT 405 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:13 pm

Ok scorps no worries ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,nice spanyard though! got 6 like that last week straight out the front on or about the 24 fathom mark,,, but dont know how to get them on here,,,,,!!!good eating ey ,,,,,,see you at the invite day,,,,

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: KT250

Postby garrison » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:13 am

Well work is slowly progressing on the KT. It's disassembled into it's component parts. Carby is done. RH engine cover was cracked so that's been welded. Engine cases etc and fork lowers off to get vapour blasted soon. Fork tubes are going to RAD. Will probably go with new shocks (betors, NJB, legends, a few options... :? )and get the old ones re-done later. Various parts have been received from around the planet. I've decided not to do too much with the frame. Where it's bent under the engine will probably just get smashed up again, anyway. So it'll just be stripped and powder coated. For the moment I'll clean up the rims and hubs a bit and leave it at that. Re-lacing with stainless spokes is going to be precisely $520 :o , and that's something I didn't think about til recently, so they can wait for now. Various parts need to be cleaned up and re-plated. I need to ponder the old v. new guards question, too.

Plenty to do. :mrgreen:

Anyone have any idea where I can get some new OEM or repro dust shields/wipers? csmnl and nwvintagecycleparts don't list them (Babbits et al list them but no mention of stock levels, but I'm not holding my breath). I'll try Fred, too. Has anyone here sourced any?

Finding all these bits would have been un-possible last decade. What did we do before the internet??? #-o

ps. I'll be heading out to Pacific Park tomorrow (sunday) and hope to see some twin shock action then. May even head out today to catch the serious folk in action.

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Stork955 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:57 pm

Gday, dust shields are available aftermarket. You need the dimensions and most are available. Also, Have you tried a dealer? You may be well surprised what is still available and at what cost.

Cheers,

Stork.

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby garrison » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 pm

Stork, dealer tells me Kaw. Aust. list them as NLA. :(

Do you have any leads for aftermarket ones. Like a website with dimensions?

thanks

Stork955
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Stork955 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Gday, harder to find websites but google birdman in Aus, they import a lot of this stuff. I have .pdf catologues that I can email you if you cant find any.

Cheers,

Stork.

PS - these dust seals aren't the high type, although I think I can remember seeing those somewhere also. I'll have a look around myself tonight.

I Russ
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: KT250,TTR325

Postby I Russ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:12 pm

I got some dust wipers for my KT off Fred

Russ

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby garrison » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:18 pm

Ooh didn't think of Fred... I'll give him a go. Thanks

Stork, I'm after the original type of boot/shield if I can get them. 8)

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby garrison » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Seems the fork seals are the same as ones for the TY250. Does anyone know if the dust shields, circlips and washers are the same?

I've sourced some All Balls seals locally (like the ones on tytrials.co.uk), I'll see if I notice the 30% less stiction or whatever they have. Doubt it, lol.

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby garrison » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:57 pm

OK ,time for some pics...

I forgot to take a pic of the carby before I boxed it up to send off. Suffice to say, it was pretty crudded up.

Here's a pic of the cap before

and after

Sent the triple clamps off to get mass finished.

Before...

Pretty happy with the results, not ecstatic, however. The clamp at the top in the pic is a NOS one I have.

The good thing about mass finishing is it doesn't remove the original forging marks etc and was the factory finish on these parts. The NOS part looks way shinier in the pic above than in the flesh. Camera had issues with the shine, I guess.

Here's the underside, a more realistic display of the difference. This bit was quite oxidised and gunked up, so it's a vast improvement.

garrison
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby garrison » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:07 pm

continuing...

Did a bit of polishing over the weekend. Here are the front mudguard brackets. Lots of crud and rust on the inside surfaces.

after a go with the wire wheel, then cutting compound and polish on the calico wheels...

That bench grinder with polishing wheels is a must have, IMHO! 8)

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”