TY 250 Improvements

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: TY 250 Improvements

Postby Stanm » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Ross
I noticed your post and was impressed by the way you utilized the old mount. I don't like cutting off the old bits until I am absolutely sure of the new mods.
I am aiming to get the peg width as close as possible to a modern so thinking of welding a brace to the frame to get the pegs closer in. I reckon I could go 35mm down but it would be pretty close to the bottom of the bash plate. Will be interested to see what others say especially what the after market kits achieve

Thanks for you comments

Stan

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 pm

G'day Stan,
What I didn't think of when I bought these pegs is the relation of the actual peg to where the pivot tongue is.
On these pegs the tongue is at the very rear of the peg so although the rear of the peg is about 20mm back, the front is much the same as the old ones, the new ones being 48mm wide as opposed to the old ones being about 25mm.
If I can find some pegs with the tongue at the front of the pegs it would make the pegs move back even further, up to 20mm?
Cheers Ross

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:45 am

Hi Stanm and Brownie,

What are you guys planning on for mods of the rear brake pedal. I have Sammy Miller pegs and plates on my TY250 and find that the brake pedal is just above the top of the foot pegs. I can't adjust this out as the pedal will bottom out on the bash plate. I am happy enough with the situation but the pedal could do with a bit more bend or a little cut and shut. Pictures would be good if we get onto the brake pedal issue.

Thanks

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:06 pm

Starky
I've seen that situation on two bikes - the TY250B and the Majesty. The Majesty has a different bashplate to the TY and I just kept removing bashplate material till the brake pedal missed it on the way past
On the Yamaha TY250B frame (with lowered footpegs) the pedal doesn't just hit the bashplate, it hits the bashplate mount as well. I have found that with careful adjustment, you can just get away with adjusting the pedal stop to get the pedal at a nice height and still have enough travel to use the brakes fully, but it does require frequent adjustment at the cable end and so is a bit annoying. If it annoys me enough, I will modify the pedal arm (reducing the depth of the section) to give more down travel but I have lived with it OK so far. Another option would be to lower the pedal tip relative to the arm.
David

Starky wrote:Hi Stanm and Brownie,

What are you guys planning on for mods of the rear brake pedal. I have Sammy Miller pegs and plates on my TY250 and find that the brake pedal is just above the top of the foot pegs. I can't adjust this out as the pedal will bottom out on the bash plate. I am happy enough with the situation but the pedal could do with a bit more bend or a little cut and shut. Pictures would be good if we get onto the brake pedal issue.

Thanks

relax, nothing is under control

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Postby Starky » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:31 pm

David,
Sounds like we are in the same boat doing the same thing. Remember the list of mods you sent me for my 250 when I asked about setting it up? Well you pointed this issue out. I can just get around it but a little more travel would be good but not a real problem. Yes my brake arm touches the top of the bash plate mounting nut. I thought a nice little tastful curve in the break lever would solve the problem forever and wanted to see if these guys would go down that path. Hence the request for pictures.

Thanks

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:28 am

G'day Starky.
I haven't changed the brake pedal as yet.
Cutting a wedge out the bottom of the lever, about 1 1/2" back from the tip, then angling it down and welding it up is probably what I'll try if it annoys me enough.
I've been enjoying the feel of the lowered pegs to much to really notice the brake pedal yet what a transformation that and the hi-rise bars [KT] has made, much more comfortable ride, for me anyway.
Cheers
Ross

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi
I have not really thought of the brake pedel so thanks for bringing this up. My original rear brake pedal has been a pain in the butt and I have hooked it up on a rock several times and bent it like a bananna. So I did have the intention of modifying my brake lever similar to a majesty. That is about 20 mm shorter so it tucks in behind the clutch housing and cannot get caught up. Shorting the lever should help the clearance but reduce the braking power. I will let you know how it goes when do it.

Regards

Stan

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:29 pm

What a useful thread (even though its pretty ancient) =P~

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

NJB shocks

Postby Jools » Tue May 01, 2018 9:50 am

I just want to put in a plug for NJB shocks (no connection at all with the company).
I bought a pair of the alloy-bodied ones for the TY250, and they function very nicely, -really smooth and well controlled damping.
Cost about A$400 delivered (from UK). Very nice quality manufacture.
I've now put them on the TY175 because this is the bike being used in comp.
The shocks have preload adjustment, but in addition they can be adjusted for overall length independent of the preload,
so, for example, you can raise the rear if you want to quicken up the steering.

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Fri May 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi Jools
Good to see people using this tread.
I bought a 2008 Beta 4t a year ago and its much much easier on the old bones and no broken swing arms.
However this weekend I am back on the TY250.
This TY has a set of NJB steel stocks. Only adjustment is the spring preload via a clip. I must say I am pretty impressed with these shocks and the durability. No leaking and still good damping with quite a few hours on the clock.
One mod that took me a long time to do was lean the shocks over. From memory 80mm forward and 80mm down. Then I needed to upgrade the spring from 40 to 50kg. This was a mod I would recommend.
Cheers

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”