Moderator: Moderators

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Full Size Electric Trial Bike

Postby Starky » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I have a question.

When can we expect a full size Electric Trials Bike to arrive on the open market and who is going to be the manufacturer and importer if it is not made in Australia. :idea:

I have read about MX and Enduro electric competitions, some of 2 day duration. The little Oset has now been around for a while, but when does a big boy like me get to play on a stealth machine?

Here is a website that I would expect the announcement on. :?: But what have you all heard?
http://www.gizmag.com/motorcycles/

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

bogdit
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR250
Club: nil

Re: Full Size Electric Trial Bike

Postby bogdit » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:03 pm

At this point in time, probably better to try and build your own, The problem is trying to find the lightest frame. The mono shock frames are probably the go with light Chromoly or alloy in most of the frame components. I have built up a prototype Yamaha DT100 running on 36V 750W gearmotor, running three 18Ah 12V gel sealed batteries, but have not got up to completion and testing stage as yet. The batteries are about the heaviest item in the electric drive set-up and their charge and drain cycle really affects the usability of the electric bike in its final guise.
The DT100 standard frame is a twinshock frame, plus forks, swingarm,rear shockies and bits is quite heavy, but I didn't wish to butcher a TY80 frame (which is much lighter and probably a better frame geometry) just to prove if the thing will work or not. The electric bits and pieces are relatively easy to come by, It's just trying to get the bits to fit and look relatively tidy in the end result. I will get some pics and info when I finish and run the bike for the first time.

Regards bogdit

Starky
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: TY175, TY250

Re: Full Size Electric Trial Bike

Postby Starky » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:08 pm

Bogdit,
I look forward to your update on your project.

I have read (skimmed) a couple of books on building my own electric bike but I would prefer to buy something as such a project would be a huge learning curve for me?

Starky
When competing in a trial, I don't suffer from nerves, I get way too excited for that stuff!!!!

Return to “Waiting in the queue”