Is a bad hone better than no hone

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

keychange

Is a bad hone better than no hone

Postby keychange » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:13 am

I know this will raise a few eyebrows but there are quite a few posts on other forums regarding the necessity or even the benefit of honing before replacing rings. I know the standard mantra for why it should be done, but my question is inspired by my lack of confidence in my local mechanics. After all 34 year old spanish barrels don't grow on trees and mine is still standard size as are my pistons and my new rings and I have seen bores carelessly honed before (in bike shop).

I remember 30 years ago I was working in an out of the way spot in WA and rode a Suzuki TS185 to work very day ( 40km round trip) it was in poor shape and I needed a quick fix. I got some new rings and installed without touching the bore and it ran like charm for many months - when I sold it to buy something better.... was I just dumb lucky ? I see lots of posts on thumpertalk.com etc where guys say they never hone for a ring change. Some posts talk about using a scotchbrite pad to scuff the surface (deglaze).

So again I am not asking for explanations as to why I should get it honed - I am more interested in others personal experience of bad honing versus no honing, scotchbrite etc.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Re: Is a bad hone better than no hone

Postby Stu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:40 pm

My DT175 has new piston and rings, and like you I dont trust many people when it comes to my bikes. A good mate had all the gear to hone it and I left it with him. He did a great job and once it's back together it should scream again!
good luck, hope you find a mate who'd do the same.

Feet up, as always!

keychange

Postby keychange » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:40 pm

Jeez Stu - you are riding trials on a DT175? or is that your fun trailie?

Cheers

Andrew

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Fine wet and dry done with kero is better than scotchbrite for deglazing by hand
Don't hone unless there is a big lip to remove
Never had a bad hone but then I've never replaced rings without also reboring

relax, nothing is under control

keychange

Postby keychange » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:50 pm

David - thanks I like that line of thought. I managed a bike work shop many years ago, it's scary what an apprentice (or a disgruntled or hungover tradesman) can do with hone.

The piston fit is still snug ( I don't have a guage) mechanic thinks it's ok ie: doesn't need a rebore. There is no discernible taper wear end gap of existing rings measures 2.20 mm top and bottom. New rings haven't arrived yet.

The guy I bought the bike from claimed to have replaced the piston and rings recently (maybe 5 hours running before I bought it) and the piston fitted looks quite new - I am guessing maybe they didn't have the correct rings to start with - or they replaced the piston and not the rings - or an apprentice got carried with end gap adjustment on the rings. Since I have only done maybe 15 hours on the bike hard to imagine they could wear that fast without other signs on the bore.

Andrew

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Stu » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:02 am

For many years the TY served it's purpose as a dual sport bike, I picked up 2 DT175's not long ago and decided to freshen 1 of them up. The TY is a great trail bike, and it has a seat too! It's great in the tight stuff where the usual trailbikes suffer. I wanted to enter in an enclosed Enduro and see how I'd go. it'd be fun all the same..

Feet up, as always!

keychange

Postby keychange » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Stu - I have an early TY 250 monoshock on loan at the moment which I was considering buying however the seat is pure trials, is there a more trail friendly version available for these.

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Stu » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:42 pm

years ago, I tried to get a 'longride' seat for the TY250a, it replaced the standard seat and utilised the full seat base to the rear subframe. I found 1 in the US for A$150 and didnt follow it up. Apparently this was an option in the US. You could talk to a motor trimmer for ideas for your seat. Or make up a seatbase and seat to go over the standard seat and bolt it. Check also the seat option for the Scorpa, i think they call it a 'Longride seat', chat to Paul at Hell Team.

Feet up, as always!

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:16 am

Hey Stuart

After a couple of false starts, the most recent after we spoke at Pacific Park, I finally picked up a TY250 TRAIL seat on Ebay this morning.

Things always look better photographically, but it may simply need a repair not a recover. Search Ebay Item No 330451976512.

They were apparently sold in the US in 1974 for 2 reasons. Yamaha had an excess of TY250A stock and they also recognised that a huge number of TYs were actually being used as TRAIL bikes. Not sure if the strategy sold more bikes but I do think the seats are as rare as RHS.

The were sold in conjunction with an aftermarket footpeg relocation kit.

In contrast to our "trials" thinking; where there are presently a number of kits available to adapt the pegs further towards the rear and lower, facilitating an improvement in ease of "trials" handling, the trail adaption kit brings the pegs FORWARD. It also came with an extended brake pedal to keep it the appropriate spacing.

The combined system brought on a more upright riding position and took its lead from the perceived difference between Bultacos Sherpa and the Alpina

I do have the footpeg kit aswell, so that and the seat will be going on to the really original TY soon.

I reckon the seat makes the bike look a bit ugly on first impression, but I suspect that will fade towards the end of the day after a good 100kms through the bush.

Andrew, I do have a surplus longride seat for a TY Mono. Give me a call.

Alastair Farquhar

0409 603 880

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Stu » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:13 pm

I hope to see you at Appin on August 1, I'd like to check out the seat as well. Could you bring it with you if you are riding? thanks.

Feet up, as always!

Return to “Technical help”