Help Finding The Right Bike PLEASE!

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Damo91
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: KTM 530exc
Club: W.A Trail and Enduro Club

Help Finding The Right Bike PLEASE!

Postby Damo91 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:39 pm

How's it goin guys? Very new to the Trails scene want to find a bike to help my skills in the enduro side of things for next year... I am 6'4" about 90kg's and i live in perth. Still an Apprentise so cost cant be too big, obviously parts arnt goin to be the easiest things to find but i am sure there is a few people that have got this down to an art.
Cheers Heaps
Damo

Stu
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: SHerco, TY250
Club: Wollongong

Re: Help Finding The Right Bike PLEASE!

Postby Stu » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:42 am

Damo,
its a big world out there in the Trials world..Go to a trial, see if you can ride a couple of bikes, both old and new. I've been riding a Yamaha TY250a and recently a 03 Sherco 250, chalk and cheese between the two. But both very competitive. Obviously $$$ do come into it of course, check out the Bikes for sale here, talk to a couple of owners.

Feet up, as always!

Reinald
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320 1982
Club: WDTC

Postby Reinald » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:14 pm

As a recent recruit to the twin shock scene I reckon the advice provided by Stu is spot on.
I'm 6ft 4inches and did weigh 115 kgs when i started Im now 95kgs....
A couple of observations - at our height ergos maybe more important than performance ie a tall bar and low and backwards located foot pegs maybe more important than a bigger engine.
I started on a ty 250s and Monty 349s [borrowed from David Lahey] and then got a mates Ty175 going to use regularly.
Opposite to some advice the 175 is all you need as a clubman and a excellent machine.
Try and buy something that is ready to go rather than a cheapie that needs a bit of work!!!!! that "bit of work" could be $2500.
Look at the coaching tips on this forum and trials central forums as well - some really good stuff there and some real eye openers for a rider of 32 odd years this has made me be a better all round rider - roadies and trail bikes included.

I'd rather be a D grade participant than an A grade spectator....

Scorps
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: 1976 KT250
Club: Maryborough Riders

Postby Scorps » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Howdy Y'all,

My advice: don't buy a twinshock! Buy something that has decent suspension, good brakes and a light clutch. Once you have it, * the timing, and fit a slow throttle. You will go so much further, so much quicker.

Not only that, so much easier to find parts for a modern. As far as which modern, ride a few and see what you like the best.

Cheers,
Your friendly neighbourhood KawiMan
Scorps

Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children.
1981 Fantic 240 Professional
1976 Kawasaki KT250 (x2)
1975 Kawasaki KT250
1975 Kawasaki KT250

Damo91
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: KTM 530exc
Club: W.A Trail and Enduro Club

Postby Damo91 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 am

Cheers heaps, i suppose its time to go looking for some bikes to try out. Went riding today on the 530 and i love my hydraulic clutch so that is something i will most certainly be looking for. Also went and saw the crusty demon's last night and the freestyle trails guy treated me to some awesome trails (backflips off of a 30cm kicker)etc. But by the sounds of it, its the same as the enduro scene no one brand has the upper hand its just personal preference.
Thanks for the help.

Damo

Return to “Technical help”