Cylinder replating advice

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

cota
C grade participant
C grade participant

Cylinder replating advice

Postby cota » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 am

Hi,
Needing suggestions and recommendations for replating of a Fantic 245 cylinder (212cc, 69mm bore, reed valve ported). Wanting to replace piston, rings, gudgeon and clips (may be needle roller) but can only find size B piston in the UK (Frankfield) and waiting on info from Bob Wright,UK. Mine is currently a D piston. So looks like will have to replate. Found Electrosil in Melbourne (expensive), Arrum in Brisbane (much cheaper) and NZ Cylinders in NZ and then USA (Oz dollar is good at the moment) and UK (Langcourt). Anyone with recommendations on plating welcome and/or other sources of pistons for Fantic very welcome. Or I put up with lots of top end rattle.
Any advice appreciated, Peter. :WA:

I don't need help - I can fall off all by myself.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Cylinder replating advice

Postby sharvie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:06 pm

When I had a Fantic I got parts from here http://www.sparmart.it/lang_UK/chisiamo.php

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

mal8
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: GAS GAS
Club: SPORTING

Postby mal8 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi, I have had quite a few cylinders re-coated over the years. I tried Arum and got what I paid for, since then I used Electrosil for the last few years and they have always given an excellent result and service. The extra cost is soon forgotton when the bikes run well and you get a good job. They can re-coat the bore to suit the size of the piston but you should supply them with your required piston to bore clearance or they may set it on the side of safety. Clearance on a trials bike is usually a bit less than that of other bikes due to the lower heat generation. Regards Mal

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:02 pm

I'm with mal8 on this i have used electrosil top job ! but have heard bad reports about arum as mal said you get what you pay for!

motocentral
Dealer
Dealer

Postby motocentral » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:08 pm

We're the Sherco importers & have been happy with Electrosil both for the Trials bikes as well as customers regular bikes through our retail workshop. Quick & easy they offer a fast turnaround service for more urgent jobs also. They have also been able to weld/repair damaged cylinders as well (ie: drowned/started & then whoops type cylinder repairs).
Mixed success with Aurum. Havent tried anyone o'seas.
Don @ Motocentral.

Play with Gravity

Return to “Technical help”