Suzuki RL250 Mania

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Jean-Fish
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Suzuki RL250

Re: Suzuki RL250 Mania

Postby Jean-Fish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:42 am

Sorry Westy I don't know how...

jc

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: postie
Club: n/a

Postby crustydog » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:54 pm

was wondering if anyone wants my spare frame and whatever is left on it once motor is pulled out(will post photos in a week or so)i may also keep tank for a spare too.would rather swap for some part i dont have to benefit us both(a long neck will do if u got nothing!)would anyone be interested in rebuilding the motor for me.as cheap as possible would be best.(if i had money id be riding a watercooled mx bike) not doing up old dungers i got for nuthing(even though i love my old air cooled jobbies.)P.S frame has patch job on left hand side under moror and i think left rear too(do they all have that?both mine seem to)cheers Justin :NSW:

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:49 am

Hey Crustydog. If you're just giving it away it's hard to say no. It wasn't meant to be for me. My ute is in North QLD and I am in South Coast NSW. It was a long walk home from the pub the other night. Now I have to walk back to get the ute. :NSW: :NSW:

Is it time to ride yet?

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby crustydog » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:34 pm

i thought u might westy,hopefully uve got a couple of parts to swap me for it i need all sorts of crap like the petcock off the fuel tank clutch lever and cable, and allways looking for longnecks :lol:

rlchick
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: rl 250 suzuki
Club: no club

Postby rlchick » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Westy wrote:The new set of guards for the RL are complete. See the pictures below.

I'm disappointed with :NSW: . Over the course of this year just gone they have modififed the fee for motorcycles.
It now goes from
0cc to 225cc = cheap,
226cc to 700cc = expensive,
701cc and up = to a car.
It cost me $400 for a CTP for the RL250. What a rip off!

That doesn't matter. Come November I'll be going to my new job in Mackay :QLD:.
I'm getting ready to become a Mexaican.

GUARDS

Westy your fenders look awesome!!! I'm sure they would sell like hot cakes here in the US. I would love to price out one of your tanks. I am in the process of restoring an RL and have a question if you or anyone else would know the answer. I have it all ready to power coat but don't know if I need to take the spacer out of the swing arm before I have it painted. It isn't coming out easy but it does move. i am letting it set with some WD 40 sprayed on it tonight to see if it will tap loose tomorrow. Any ideas. Also do you make rubber molds? Have you made the side cover to tank cushions. I have one good one and two with holes from glue. Would love your advice. Deb

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Hey Deb.
I'll post a reply soon.

Westy

Is it time to ride yet?

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby crustydog » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:18 pm

its a pity uve become a banana bender westy,ive been to the gong about three times in the last month.the outlaws live at dapto.

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:13 pm

Righto. It's time to write some replies. I've been a little occupied organising my wedding and bucks shebang.

Deb. Thanks very much for the kind words on the guards (fenders). When you see the guards I made them from they turned out pretty darn good. I am heaps stoked about them. The tank is a work in progress. Because I have been living in Mackay on a temporary basis I don't have any of my stuff. I am planning on moving into a house and once I get my stuff and settle in around March then I'll look at finishing the tank.
The work remaining on the tank is the underside of the plug, creating a two piece mould and then hey-presto I can pop tanks out. I'd be happy to help you out with one. I'll be happy to see them being made. I spent a lot of time shaping the curves to get them as close as I could. To make the moulding possible the tank has flat sides and bottom. The head of the tank will have a different shape to it. But hey, if it fits the RL then great.

The spacer is a touchy one. If you get it out and you break it you may have to go to a local machining shop to have another turned on a lathe unless you can find something off the shelf from a bearing and bushes mob. I'd mask it up and paint the frame. One thing to think about is the material it's made of. If you are going to powdercoat the frame would the oven damage the bush? Or spacer? I'm assuming it's plastic. I haven't pulled mine apart before.

I have the side covers ready to mould but I haven't done them yet.

CRUSTY. You won't find me bending freakin bananas. This Mexican will remain a Blue and that's that. Perhaps I could become an ambidasdor, I mean ambassidor, for all New South Welshmen in the Northern tropics. I'm already noticing the different between me and everyone else at work. NSW seems to be years ahead of QLD is a few respects. There's a difference in the way of thinking some times. The main difference is that none of my ideas involve bananas or XXXX. Some dirvers don't like my NSW plates. Some turd has already dinger the Ranger under the tail light. Do you need any sugar cane?
How are the Dapto dogs going these days? One thing I have not yet done is go to the dog track for a race. My fiance's old man owned one though. I think it was as successful as Santa's Little Helper.
Bummer about the move in that respect though. My Dad just got his TY and I move and take the RL with me. I'm pretty cut about that... not being able to go for rides.
Not to worry. Once the RL is done I'll work on my TY and we can all go riding up here and squash cane toads. I saw that there is a comp out at Sarina.

Is it time to ride yet?

Westy
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Westy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm hoping to get my bikes up in Mackay by the first or second week of March. Once I set my little workshop up I will look at completing the RL paint job wise. If anyone is looking for side cover copies I will look at that too. I will also look at finishing the tank plug to move into moulding.

I can't wait. :D

Is it time to ride yet?

crustydog
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby crustydog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:23 pm

have finally managed to get my fingers dirty on the RL's again(had trouble convincing the missus that it was on the "to do" list :roll: .Deb let us know if u still want those bolts,have them bagged up but not sure if there all there.heres a couple of photos of the donor bike and an updated pick of the project bike.not sure if the photos will turn out,someone let us know if u can see them.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”