New trials class in MA MOMs - air-cooled monoshocks

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

New trials class in MA MOMs - air-cooled monoshocks

Postby David Lahey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:16 pm

Being of a certain age, bikes like the mono Yamaha, Fantic 301 and Beta TR34 are all too new for my tastes. A thought came to me tonight that the Yamaha DT175 monoshock would fit the specs for that class. I realise that a standard DT175 would be pretty difficult to ride sections on, but with some hypothetical mods, it might just work out OK.

Can anyone see a reason why a monoshock DT175 would not be eligible to compete in air-cooled mono class?

The other bike I though might be a bit of fun to build for this class would be a replica of the Yamaha works cantilever trials bike that Mick Andrews competed on in 1974, before they converted it to a twinshock design.

relax, nothing is under control

PA
2IC
2IC
Bike: Beta EVO
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA Inc.

Re: New trials class in MA MOMs - air-cooled monoshocks

Postby PA » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:46 am

Rule 23.2.1.1 Classes in Moto-Trials are: j) Air cooled mono shock.
That's it. So technically you could ride an Beta EVO with a TR34 Barrel and Head or similar for the Gas Gas etc.

The basis of the class is good but I think that some more detailed parameters need to be set.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:30 am

I have to say that a TY mono is one of the most forgiving and fun bikes I have ever owned - giving more clubmen success than just about any other model/make of trials bike ever.Mine was a fantastic tool,reliable as a stone and steered/followed cambers better than anything else I rode since starting on twinshocks in the mid 80's.If ever a bike deserved classic status its the Yam mono.
I think a class that allows them is spot on - the more we ride them,the more parts will be made for them - the longer we can enjoy them in use.Leave them in the shed or just restore them and they will die.
I do agree that a replica of what Mick rode in the 70's would be an interesting project.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:10 am

Having been absent from the trials scene when the TY Mono was released, the same time as the TLR200 and having both in the shed at the moment I had a bit of a comparison ride the other day.

Conclusion how did Honda sell so many of these bikes at the time, its a bit different now that the TY Mono is not in the same class but when they were released why would anyone have bought the Honda (for trials competition) must have been a 4 stroke thing.

The point being there is plenty of TLR's out being ridden and enjoyed but where is all the TY mono's probably decaying in the back of sheds everywhere.

Bring them out and enjoy them and don't make the class rules too stringent we're all out there to have fun aren't we.
Who cares if someone rode a Beta EVO with a TR34 Barrel (whatever that is) just to win the class :roll: the more riders out there having fun the better.

bgradesherco
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Sherco 290

Postby bgradesherco » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:44 pm

At the end of the day it doesnt matter what bike is being ridden , the best rider will always come out on top. Just look at pre65 at last years aussies......

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:17 pm

bgradesherco wrote:At the end of the day it doesnt matter what bike is being ridden , the best rider will always come out on top. Just look at pre65 at last years aussies......

bgradesherco I like your sense of humour

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:36 pm

The Scorpa SY 175 racing, add a bigbore kit. Easy solution, probably not what was intended for the class though

Personally, I would prefer something like the 88-89 RTL 250

Then there is the 89 TLM 260R, should have a few more herbs

Steve
Attachments
Scorpa SY 175 3.jpg
Scorpa SY 175 racing
Scorpa SY 175 3.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 7782 times
apple iphone 9feb11 035.JPG
1989 Honda RTL 250
Honda TLM 260R.jpg
Honda

1989 Honda TLM 260R
Honda TLM 260R.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 7782 times

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Steve I thought it was intended to allow the air-cooled Scorpa to compete? Maybe not?

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta

Postby AndrewT » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 pm

I've had Beta TR32, TR34, Fantic 305, Fantic 243, TY350S, TY250R & 2 TY250R Pinkies, one of which I still ride often ride in B/Masters Grade - TY Monos 86 onwards (once the rear hub sprocket mounts were beefed up) are just about bullet proof. Don't forget the Fantic 307 & 309's, JCMs, Mecatechno Dragonfly, Merlin, Armstrong, Montesa 304 & later, Aprilia TXR, Honda RTLs, TLMs early Gassers etc etc - just watch the 88 & 89 World Rounds before Beta Zeros, KRoos etc came along - Saunders, Michaud, Girard, Miglio, Bosis, Ahvala & Tarres still rode some very serious sections as did the top UK blokes like Nigel Birkett, Harold Crawford, John Lampkin, Martin Lampkin & Phil Alderson. There was even an '88 TY that I saw finish the SSDT last year quite comfortably. Aircooled mono class is good, but sections need to be easy so that a A/B grader does not get an easy win against a C Grade / Clubman. If you think this through carefully there is no reason why an organising club can't simply give a special award for "Best Aircooled Mono" performance in any class. The last thing we wan't to do is create another "Classic" eligibility nightmare.
Andrew Wirrabara 2010.JPG
2010 SA Titles
Andrew Wirrabara 2010.JPG (78.36 KiB) Viewed 7756 times

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

What do others think about the Scorpa SY 175 being eligible, seems to be amassive gap in build date & technology compared to other brands.

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”