New trials class in MA MOMs - air-cooled monoshocks

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Re: New trials class in MA MOMs - air-cooled monoshocks

Postby Greg Harding » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:43 am

Hi Everyone,

Ross, maybe it was a four stroke thing, but I think it is more likely a Honda hype / marketing thing!

Josh, straight to the bottom line and I think you`re right, the good riders will always shine! However, I think you mean Aussie Titles 2009, not last year.

Steve and Peter, when we discussed this topic last year, it was my understanding this class would have a cut off date just like Classic and Post Classic. Looks like I was wrong, as a cut off date would rule out the back dating modern liquid cooled bikes and the Scorpa, which is a sweet bike to ride if you are a lightweight rider.

Andrew, thats an impressive list of bikes, I get the feeling it was not in Australia. If this class attracted half of the bikes that you and others have listed, this is going to be a great for attracting spectators,bring it on!

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:11 am

I am wondering what the last production air-cooled mono was around the 1990,s era

The Honda TLM 260R was still air-cooled in 1991

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta

Postby AndrewT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:49 pm

TY Pinkies were last made in 1991 and I understand eng #s were:

4AJ1
4AJ-000101
4AJ2
4AJ-001101

My TY in photo above is 1991.

I had Beta TR32 in UK all the other bikes including the TR34R here in Australia. I bought the TR34R direct from factory.

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby AndrewT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 pm

Here is the Beta TR34R - this was at Keyneton MCC Trial in 1989
Beta TR34R.jpg
Beta TR34R
Beta TR34R.jpg (44.81 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
(I think):

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby AndrewT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:32 pm

My 1988 TY250R - AJS MCC Trial at Tungkillo SA - Note USD front forks & Carbon Fibre rear muffler. Also had many John Shirt goodies. (Approx 1990)
TY250R '88.jpg

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby AndrewT » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:55 pm

One of the best trials specials you will see - Built by Kelvin Franks. Kelvin was from Adelaide but spent a couple of decades in California where he did lots of work with works MX teams. He returned to Adelaide in approx 1990 and bought with him this special he built. It was ahead of its time really - basically all hand built tig welded chromoly frame, aluminium swinging arm with shocker on one side, mag wheels, rear disk brake was on gearbox countershaft, exhaust system (50% ally) was all tucked neatly around the from on the engine and under the fuel tank. Had Foral USD forks and Brembo brakes - engine was a modified Rotax / SWM Jumbo 350cc with flat side carb. I was one of the lucky few to actually ride the bike - it was a bit lumpy down low, but incredibly strong through mid range & top end. Only real fault was that the clutch was heavy (even with a lightener). I lost contact with Kelvin - he would be well in his 80's I would think now.
Franks Trial 350.jpg
Franks Trial 350.jpg (32.69 KiB) Viewed 5874 times
Franks 350.jpg
Franks 350.jpg (32.1 KiB) Viewed 5874 times

Greg Harding
Golden Basket of Smiles
Golden Basket of Smiles
Bike: NUMEROUS
Club: LRMTC & SQTA

Postby Greg Harding » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

While we are looking at different bikes that are eligible for this class, below is a gem that I found in Brownies Trials Library before the start of the Scottish Six Day one year. Yes you can have monoshock on both ends and who says that you have to have a grippy rear tyre! Suppose we can`t accuse him of not thinking outside the box or doing things because we have always done it that way!
Attachments
IMGP4004.JPG

2017 Newsflash: RUST IS THE NEW BLING !
Team Hardwood, the only licenced trials riders in Coffs Harbour!
Miles of Smiles
Greg Harding

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:03 pm

So would that make it a twin-mono-shock?

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 pm

AndrewT wrote:My 1988 TY250R - AJS MCC Trial at Tungkillo SA - Note USD front forks & Carbon Fibre rear muffler. Also had many John Shirt goodies. (Approx 1990)
TY250R '88.jpg

Andrew, a local hotshot rider up here (Rob Brown) had those same sort of early USD trials forks on a Yamaha Pinky for a couple of years. The forks he used were on loan from another local (John Sophios) who eventually got them back off Rob and fitted the whole USD front end to his Bultaco M198A, and a Yamaha TY monoshock and linkage - to the back end of the Bultaco. Sorry no still photos but we do have video footage of both bikes being ridden in trials competition.
By the way do you know if your TR34 is the one that Robert Marsden (Brisbane rider) ended up with in the late 1990s?

relax, nothing is under control

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby AndrewT » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi David, not sure where the TR34 ended up - the last time I saw it was in Victoria (Mt Bolton I think) & it was looking a bit tatty then - would have been early 1990s.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”