TY 250 colour

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

TY 250 colour

Postby llewdaert » Mon May 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Hello, I have read the forum and determined holden hx Absinth Yellow to be the ty 250 yellow rattle can colour?, but I am a bit confused about the white[or is it silver] can anyone clarify and suggest a nearest rattle can colour please??
Thanks
Scott

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: TY 250 colour

Postby David Lahey » Mon May 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Scott for the B/C model white I use rattle can Stark White. The metallic cream (Tober Pearl) of the A model is quite different to any rattle can colour I have seen. I havent painted a TY250A tank yet but when I do I expect to be taking something that has the original tober pearl colour on it to a spraypainter to get them to match it for me. I had success this way when matching the metallic green on my KT250A2 and it didn't cost much to have a litre mixed up. Depending on how original you want the bike to look, there are only new white guards available for TY250A so an easy way to get the bike looking neat is to just use white on the top of the tank instead of the tober pearl (the A model originally has tober pearl front and rear guards and for the upper tank colour).
Absinth Yellow is the closest rattle can colour for the Yellow but is not a perfect match.

relax, nothing is under control

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon May 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Here is Absinth yellow and stark white together on a B model
Attachments
21 Mar 2008 download 039 smaller.jpg

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby llewdaert » Mon May 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Cheers David. I dont have anything to take to the paint matching people, original would be nice. I have a couple of ' a ' model tanks so if I dont get any further info I will go with the stark white, it looks good on the photo you supplied.
Thanks again for your help- see you at the Denman 2 day-
Cheers
Scott

David Lahey wrote:Here is Absinth yellow and stark white together on a B model

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon May 23, 2011 7:22 pm

Scott I can lend you an original A model rear guard as a colour sample if you want

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue May 24, 2011 8:13 am

David / Scott

I do have a NOS TY250A tank, all wrapped up in its nice warm blanket. It could be used as a Toba Pearl colour reference.

I think that my NOS guards are a bit different in "look", the colour is there but the effect is flatter than the Toba Pearl of the tank. The NOS tank is also a bit more "sharp" than those on the other A models that are showing their age after 35 odd years.

If we have a few takers, I can get a batch of enamel made up and we can share it around.

Question is, how much paint is enough per bike.

Alastair Farquhar

0409 603 880

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue May 24, 2011 9:29 am

one litre per tank and guards is plenty if you are using automotive acrylic lacquer. I have no idea about how much enamel would be needed.
Don't count me in the numbers for getting paint mixed - I have no plans to repaint my A model tank or guards

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby llewdaert » Tue May 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Hello Alastair, Yes I would like to take you up on the offer of sharing the cost of some paint, I would like around 3 or 4 litres, but I am happy with whatever I can get.
I will call you in the next couple of days to discuss, Cheers
Scott

tat ty wrote:David / Scott

I do have a NOS TY250A tank, all wrapped up in its nice warm blanket. It could be used as a Toba Pearl colour reference.

I think that my NOS guards are a bit different in "look", the colour is there but the effect is flatter than the Toba Pearl of the tank. The NOS tank is also a bit more "sharp" than those on the other A models that are showing their age after 35 odd years.

If we have a few takers, I can get a batch of enamel made up and we can share it around.

Question is, how much paint is enough per bike.

Alastair Farquhar

0409 603 880

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”