More TLR

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

More TLR

Postby yamfan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi guru's, I have just brought a very original TLR 250, after having ridden a TY175 in the last two nationals I thought i’d have a go in Adelaide with the Honda.

I’m a bit of a TLR virgin so can I pick your brains on a few things like:

i've seen header pipes with heat guards and as my right leg already bears a nasty burn where do you get the guard?

Happy with the engine certainly good enough for hard C or the Nats T/S so no major mods there?

Falcon aliminium rear shocks are a little out of my price range I notice steel Falcons are on'y $150 any good? any other recommendations from the UK/USA?

Rear muffler is original so need to update is the (DEP) the way to go?

2nd gear under load slips a bit, what plates are recommended? I heard CB350 ones were the go.

I’m not looking to changed it into a show stopper just more competitive for C grade.

Any help appreciated

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: More TLR

Postby FM350 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:54 pm

You can get exhaust guards from several sellers in the UK, but they are very easy to make, especially if your pipe still has the M6 mounting point for the front of the guard. Falcon steel body shocks will perform better than most others currently available, and unless you are willing to spend an awful lot more money on serious adjustable shocks adapted from road race units, Falcons are the best possible choice.

DEP is the best possible choice for exhaust, and certainly far better than the "Delkovic" systems which are particularly restrictive and tend to reduce power and torque quite a bit. WES can be modified to work much better than stock, but the volume of these has recently been reduced to lower production costs, which is not good for performance.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi Mark,

Congrats on your purchase, you have got a few questions there which I can answer no problems. Just give me a couple of days to find some accurate details for you (part numbers etc).

When you get a chance post a pic of your bike, under the "Show us a picture of your twinshock" thread. There are a number of pic's of my bike in this thread, might be helpful to see some of the parts that are available.

Just got home from the Denman two day trial, where there are TLR's everywhere. Four of the five riders in A grade riding the TLR 250 and possibly another 3-4 across the other grades.

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:09 am

Sorry, pic's are in the twinshock forum under "Honda TLR before and after". The Zeta carbon header guard is shown, got it From The Hell Team, they were very helpful.

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Mark, I hope you intend keeping it after the Nationals, you tend to see the bike off afterwards - one less twinshock left in the west :(, even if its a Honda!

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

yamfan
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Various
Club: pathfinders/ajs

Postby yamfan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:26 pm

Unfortunatly our friends in the East appreciate a decent T/S and are prepared to pay the right $$ for a good one, I will try to hold on to this one if more sandgropers come out to play.

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:15 pm

I believe the steel & alloy bodied Falcon’s are the same internally. You can specify a light weight action shock from them though – which you could choose either a steel or alloy body. Contact Robin directly, just search Falcon Shocks.

I fitted a Delkevic system to my bike, both header and exhaust, this was due to it being most similar to the later RTL. I have no evidence to prove it is any better than any of the others available. It has been on a bike dyno, pumping out a massive 9.2hp at the rear wheel LOL.

If you use the clutch when riding besides starting and stopping – Barnett Kevlar plates are the go part no; 301-35-10008. These won’t slip, provided the basket is not worn. Cost about $ 120 a set of five.

As mentioned before I got my Zeta header pipe heat shield through The Hell Team

Good luck with it

Steve

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:20 pm

The Delkovic system is very poor in terms of performance due to a series of 10mm holes internally (supposedly to reduce noise), that restrict the flow potential of the system by around 20% or more. It is possible to cut the system and alter this, but its a rather time consuming and fiddly job.

However performance is increased very noticeably after doing away with the 10mm restricter holes, so unless you are able to engineer a proper RTL type system, carrying out the mod is probably well worth doing. Not measured before and after, but would think the Del exhaust is going to mean 1-2bhp power loss at the back wheel, and reduce low and mid range torque.

TLR 250 fitted with RTL type exhaust, TM24 Mikuni, or OKO 24mm, alternative CDI unit, and a little work on the head will run better than the RTL, but this is quite a lot of work and cannot be carried out using bolt on parts.

Falcon shocks are probably about the best available, but make sure you spec the same travel as the OE Showa's, as I have seen some Falcon shocks with less travel than OE ones.

Reece91
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TLR250

Postby Reece91 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Ive recently bought a set of "ROCKS" shocks from the UK, with are all alloy and seem to be better quality then the falcon counterpart, they are also much cheaper, TLR parts in general are best found in the UK.

Reece

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:32 pm

Do your Rock Shocks have hard anodised bodies, and are they gas pressurised? Hard anodising means there is no need for frequent rebuilds, and gas pressure lessens the chance of oil/air mixing, which reduces performance.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”