Samy
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Montesa 4RT
Club: LRMTC

Bike insurance

Postby Samy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:53 am

Hey guys,

i'm about to pickup a newish bike (Sherco) and ive been trying to get it insured. My house and contents provider RACQ will not cover the bike at all even if chained up and locked in the garage. I've called NRMA who don't do non-registered bikes. Shannons will not provide cover unless you already have cover... on something else... so basically i'm having trouble finding someone to provide cover a non road registerable bike. I just want cover so if i'm at work and some barkstard steals the bike (which will be chained and locked in the garage with motion alarm and CCTV camera) i can replace it. It looks like i'm going to have to get the Sherco registered ;)

"Insure My Ride" have the sherco listed on their website and have given me a quote but i've not had anything to do with them before. I've also found "JLT"? via web searches.

Any thoughts?

cheers

jthomson
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: Bike insurance

Postby jthomson » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Samy,

A Google search on Dirt Bike Insurance brings up a few matches. JLT seems to have the right type of policy and is a reputable, though not particularly large, insurance broking firm.

I hope this helps.

Jamie.

mtbrider
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby mtbrider » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:34 pm

That is strange Shannon's won't quote. They have been turning up at a couple of events lately for VMX and I obtained a well priced quote for my TY and MX bike from them with no need for other insurance. The qoute only states that you get a 10% discount with Home insurance.

Samy
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Samy » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:20 am

They said over the phone that they won't insure a non registrable motorcycle unless you already have a policy with them.

cheers

BrentonW
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Scorpa SY 250
Club: AJS Moto Trial Club of SA

Postby BrentonW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:47 pm

I have both of our bikes insured with JLT - I have not had any issues so far - however it is always claim time that the fine print gets pointed out to you!

cota
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby cota » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Always check out what discount you can get and the conditions of such via Motorcycling Australia http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=437
I went with JLT as they gave me what I wanted, theft and fire at home and in-transit insurance. Yes, got to have the bike secured at home to a permanent tie down point but seems reasonable. :WA:

I don't need help - I can fall off all by myself.

Samy
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Samy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:41 am

Well JLT it is, all done painlessly over the phone. The bike is chained and locked up in the shed and one satisfied owner here ;) Peace of mind

thanks guys.

cheers

Return to “Waiting in the queue”