Square Slide Dellorto and others for twinshock

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Square Slide Dellorto and others for twinshock

Postby Geoff Lewis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:46 am

Hi All, Great trials week in South Oz but to the subject, just found by accident in my archival stuff, absolute definitive proof that square slide Dellorto carbs were available in 1972 and were fitted to a Trials bike.
If anyone wants to fit such and is worried about elligibility just contact me and I will send you a copy. Some real nice Classics and Twinshocks at the Oz championships. Martyn Adams Arial was superb, like a work of art.
Regards Geoff Lewis

GO CZ!

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Re: Square Slide Dellorto and others for twinshock

Postby Tee-Why » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:48 am

Sitting back watching where this one goes.

Why dont you jpeg image it to this site as a photo or PDF it and host it somewhere so we can all view it? Got a scanner?

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:16 am

What real difference does it make whether or not flat slide carbs were being used in the 1970s? They are cheap and easily available today, and are something anyone can fit, and will improve the performance of any older bike with a round slide as OE.

On the other hand if you wanted to build an Ariel something like Martyn Adams has, then you would need to either be a highly skilled engineer with access to a wide range of machine tools, and plenty of spare time, or be in a position to spend an awful lot of money to pay someone like Martyn to do the work for you.

I think the eligibility police need to grasp the fact that fitting things like modern tyres and carbs is a simple matter of progress, and unlike chrom-moly frame kits, various billet alloy and titanium parts, modern forks etc etc (all fitted to "P65" bikes here in the UK!), which result in very costly modern day specials, which are certainly not comparable to any vaguely original machine.

Geoff Lewis
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Geoff Lewis » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 am

Hi All, This is not meant to be a post about what should be elligible but merely a post so that people know that they can fit such a square slide Dellorto to a post 1971 bike if they want to and are concerned about elligibilty. Perhaps no one wants to and it is all a waste of time.I don't know.I would post the article if I knew how and I understood copywrite laws better.I'm not trying to be secretive as it really doesn't affect me. Debate re. elligibility will rage on and rules no doubt will change over time to accomadate the needs of those who support the classes of old bikes that we enjoy.There arent any elligibility police only a rule book (MOMS) that people should try reconcile against what we encounter in the real world of competition and strike a sensible, pragmatic balance. The sections we ride today are nothing like what the old bikes were originally built to tackle and realistcally organisers cant be expected to modify sections to suit a (very small) minority. I also noticed at the OZ Champs that there were no air cooled monos. Another waste of time? What do people think?
Regards Geoff Lewis

GO CZ!

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:29 pm

Hello all. I thought I would also point out that in the US some of the Bultaco 199`s and the 199A`s came out with Lectron flatslide carbs on them. That was in 1978 and 1979. I also think the M191`s also had the Lectrons on them as I know the M194`s which is a MK 10 125 Pursang had Lectrons on them. The MK 10 was a `77 model. Bye. Graham.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Geoff Lewis wrote:Hi All, This is not meant to be a post about what should be elligible but merely a post so that people know that they can fit such a square slide Dellorto to a post 1971 bike if they want to and are concerned about elligibilty. Perhaps no one wants to and it is all a waste of time.I don't know.I would post the article if I knew how and I understood copywrite laws better.I'm not trying to be secretive as it really doesn't affect me. Debate re. elligibility will rage on and rules no doubt will change over time to accomadate the needs of those who support the classes of old bikes that we enjoy.There arent any elligibility police only a rule book (MOMS) that people should try reconcile against what we encounter in the real world of competition and strike a sensible, pragmatic balance. The sections we ride today are nothing like what the old bikes were originally built to tackle and realistcally organisers cant be expected to modify sections to suit a (very small) minority. I also noticed at the OZ Champs that there were no air cooled monos. Another waste of time? What do people think?
Regards Geoff Lewis

Without eligibility police I wonder how the rules actually get enforced? Seems to me pretty silly to ban parts like modern carbs, which are cheap and freely available, yet allow very costly modern day specials such as the Martin Adams Ariel to run in the P65 class?

Air-cooled mono class will never work due to the cost of rebuilding what in most cases are bikes which are totally worn out, and can only be ridden in a limited number of events.

BOGWHEEL
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco
Club: TCQ

Postby BOGWHEEL » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:36 am

Lectron flat slides where a popular replacement for the Bing on Bullies back in the day, mainly for Frontera and Pursang. I have purchased bikes in the past with this fitment - the latest being a Sherpa that ran the carb fitted back in it's heyday.
Carb needs a new bowl - Have tried Lectron in the US and they don't have one, which makes me think that the modern version is different in some way ??
Attachments
RM_BUL.JPG

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:54 am

Just to let you Know that Hughs Bultaco had some metal float bowls for the Lectron carbs. I bought one a couple of years ago.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”