sherpa t tranny id help needed

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

lms6201
Junior participant
Junior participant

sherpa t tranny id help needed

Postby lms6201 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 am

just need a bit of help id ing a tranny , would anyone have one out , just need some teeth counting , just on the first pair would do

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Re: sherpa t tranny id help needed

Postby brownie » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:27 am

1st 29-18
2nd 21-26
3rd 23-24
Should be the same in all model Sherpa T's up to 198/199

lms6201
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby lms6201 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:07 am

thank u kindly for that ,confirms i have a 124 transmission, will be going in a 199 , the only gear i got with the bike was the output shaft gear , which like u say is different to previous models , although it has the same # of teeth the diameter is slightly larger , and the starter gear is also different(lucky i got that with my $40 tranny!) engaging on a different gear , i got a large thrust washer with the tran i bought , can,t work out where it goes , fits the final drive gear but i don,t remember ever seeing one there in any other bully , and the final gear was in place in the 199 cases , it didn,t have one either , any advise ?

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Hello ims6201. Graham here. Is the final drive gear you are refering to the one joined to the countershaft and sits in the bearing. If it is I don`t think there is a thrust washer on it. As far as I can remember the only washers in a Bully gearbox is the one on the kickstart shaft which goes on after the kick gear. Somewhere on Trials Central I have seen an exploded veiw of a late Sherpa gearbox if you need one. I haven`t got a manual here at home to have a look at so I`m not sure. Good Luck. Graham.

brownie
TA Supporter
TA Supporter
Bike: Bultaco's
Club: denman

Postby brownie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi ims6201,

As Graham says the only thrust washer is the one between the kickstart gear and the crankcase, there is what they call a bush between the output gear and 3rd gear on the mainshaft.

If you are putting a 124 gear cluster and shafts in 199 cases you might run into a few problems as there was a change from 150/151 on as in different crankcases (not just the clutch cover), bearing retainment, mainshaft etc, there was quite a lot of changes internally from M91/92 to M150/151

If you want a scan of the gearbox or anything else from the M124/125/150/151 parts list PM me your email address its quite interesting the changes that took place, for a Bultaco nerd anyway.

lms6201
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby lms6201 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:45 am

hi brownie and graham , i used the 124 shafts ,forks and drum (c`an,t see any change in the drum think thats the same for all 5 sp) yep am in agreement about this mysterious washer , mabey it goes under the fr sproket ? it all fits ok and works ,when i fitted an alpina tran to my mk 2 pursang i had bearing size issues, had to make some adaptor bushes , would love some diagrams , would the the kick start gear ratio in the 199 have been lower than previously used ? makeing it easier to start ? the running 199 i have (older twin to this one) is the easiest starting bully i,ve owned , will be useing alpina 350 primary drive , and a 250 flywheel , i,ve noticed the 199 flywheel(ign) is a bit heavier so it won,t have as much of the tractor in it , the 124 tran i got has the needle rollers on the main shaft on the output gear , i have only seen this on a frontera , was this common on sherpa,s or mabey someone has upgraded it / lms6201@bigpond.com.au

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”