c grade lines

Want to say something about trials? Let the world know in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Markjw
Junior participant
Junior participant

Re: c grade lines

Postby Markjw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:59 am

Darren Robinson wrote:I would like to start a discussion on C Grade lines. After competing at the Easter Argyle weekend and finding the C grade line very enjoyable. I believe we would have more people move from clubman to C grade if the standard of C grade lines was set as they were at Argyle. There has been a too greater gap between clubman and Cgrade in the past. If C grade is too easy then there is C plus. The previous C grade lines were too hard especially on twin shock and classics, C grade should be more about getting around obsticles ( eg tight turns) and small rocky sections than climbing over large rocks. I would like to hear other peoples opinions on this. P.s well done Clive and the rest of the OMCC very enjoyable weekend.P.S 2 by the way i came 6 out of 7 but enjoyed every line

Darren, hit the nail on the head in his first 4 sentences. for what I see there is the bulk of the riders ride white and blue. All he is saying is that there appears to be no easy set up from White to blue at times, lets just keep it simple and zero in on that.
Does this sport want to encourage new riders into the sport, assist juniors to move up, and provide an easier path into higher grade. Or does it want to stay where it is, have C graders and clubman riders riding the same grade for years. We are not all talented like Tony Bou and are lot of riders are new to motorbiking and Trials.
It is not hard to cater for novice riders up through to higher level C graders. After all we all just want to have fun, enjoy ourselves, fell challenged and go away from the trial with all parts of our bodies in one piece and not damaged
This is such a great discussion thread and clearly shows that there is a need for this

ianrogers
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Beta Beta Beta
Club: SQTA

Postby ianrogers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:24 am

In that case then Mark, majority should rule, i.e.if the sections are too hard then the riders should be encouraging the section setters to ease them back or better still, make sure they make the effort to go out and help set them with them. The last thing we section setters like to hear is groans of complaints about section severity from riders who never show up and help in the first place. The more riders who learn the art of section setting the better the spread and the happier everyone involved will be as it will mean more people showing up to working bees and the snowball may gain momentum fixing a lot of other issues in the process, if you get my drift.
I know a bit has been said regarding upsetting the volunteers that unselfishly do the work, and no club can afford to have them pissed of, but if they are consistantly setting sections too hard for the rank and file then maybe they need to put their listening ears on or be replaced but that is strictly a club issue not one the ruling body could, will or ever should have a say in unless it is a title event. That said, most title events i have ever witnessed have appeared to be set too hard anyway to the detrement of the poor rank and file riders who make up the majority of the entries so i don't know where that leaves us?? Maybe ride non competitively like the majority of SQTA members and have fun instead. 8)

"The older I get the better I was"

scott stephens
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby scott stephens » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:30 am

We regularly ride with 3 or 4 girls that are progressing from junior ( white ) to blue. Some of the sections are easy and some impossible . But 6 months ago mostly appeared impossible. Keep practicing and you will find sections easier. If in doubt have a friend catch for you until you gain a bit more confidence. Makes a big difference. C is rarely that big that it can bite if you have a friend nearby. There is enough lines now for often untrained observers without adding splits etc. I enjoy C+ but sometimes take a 5 when my sphincter tells me to.....! It doesnt upset my day nor would it make me give up the sport .

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Diddly401 wrote:In that case then Mark, majority should rule, i.e.if the sections are too hard then the riders should be encouraging the section setters to ease them back or better still, make sure they make the effort to go out and help set them with them. The last thing we section setters like to hear is groans of complaints about section severity from riders who never show up and help in the first place. The more riders who learn the art of section setting the better the spread and the happier everyone involved will be as it will mean more people showing up to working bees and the snowball may gain momentum fixing a lot of other issues in the process, if you get my drift.
I know a bit has been said regarding upsetting the volunteers that unselfishly do the work, and no club can afford to have them pissed of, but if they are consistantly setting sections too hard for the rank and file then maybe they need to put their listening ears on or be replaced but that is strictly a club issue not one the ruling body could, will or ever should have a say in unless it is a title event. That said, most title events i have ever witnessed have appeared to be set too hard anyway to the detrement of the poor rank and file riders who make up the majority of the entries so i don't know where that leaves us?? Maybe ride non competitively like the majority of SQTA members and have fun instead. 8)

Like it or not its pretty much impossible to suit everyone, but rather than making sections much too hard or far too easy (which is often the case here in the UK), why not recognise the fact that events which cater for a wide range of rider abilities, are always going to be better supported than those that dont?

Clive.Agi Halls
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TRS 125 x- Track
Club: Oakleigh & STR

Postby Clive.Agi Halls » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:32 pm

I have been riding trials now for nearly 40 years & this debate comes around at regular intervals.There is no one answer but the C+ line we adopted in Victoria goes a long way to improve the situation. As a section setter I do like natural flowing lines in the sections I set, & not too complex, the fewer arrows the better, leave as many options as possible, however it always seems to be one line that bears the most traffic.I always encourage the better riders to challenge themselves on the sections they find too easy. To take a more difficult ,or longer line but the desire to win usually has them taking the least risky route. What I wanted to say tho was, we thought set really easy Clubmen lines at Argyle over Easter but a new potential participant in twin shock came for a look. He declared there was no chance of him riding his freshly restored Bultaco in the white lines, let alone the blue line twin shocks rode that week end. We did have an even simpler route for sub juniors which he could have used. But it reinforced for me the complicated nature of providing a fun safe & yet challenging route for all participants. Maybe its just impossible. Maybe my new rider needs to practice a bit more before tackling a Trial? Maybe he doesn't have any where he can do so? All I can say is I enjoy setting sections for the grade I ride & understand & will continue to do so, its as much fun as the trial in my opinion & the great group I set sections with at Easter seemed to enjoy it just as much. Maybe, yes another maybe ,more riders should get involved in this part of the sport & we would all benefit. Clive

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Postby Guy53 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:37 pm

I came back to trial a few year's ago, and yes the first trial was awful, It looked like I did not know where the front whell was. I found a very simple practice ground and was able to get the general idea of turning and going over rock back. Yes a bit of practice give you confidence when you begin or come back to the sport. But, I think that I was lucky that the organiser ask and listen to the feedback of the rider, they did not change the laying of the section for me but I could sence that the comments that where most often made where taken into consideration for the next event. So if a rider think this or that of the sections they should tell the organiser AND they should realise they are not alone on the course. Also don't wait untill you are mad and only yell at them, listen to other rider that ride your line, maybe you are not where you should be. Anyway my hat's off to the organiser that have to listen to, often not too frendly comments,( I hope mine are constructive ).

Guy

Return to “Trials Talk”