TY 175 Restoration and TY Challenge

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Johnsy
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Yamaha TY175

Re: TY 175 Restoration and TY Challenge

Postby Johnsy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:47 pm

Hey Greg,

ha ha.... yes your B/plate is very happy and will be happier when it's bolted the underside of my bike when it's finally going. I have contacted the owner a number of times but no response so I've given up there, however I did get in touch with Don from Wauchope and he had a set of gears that was virtually new as well as selector forks at a very good price so they are now installed and the crank case is back together but there's still a lot to be done. The quote I got from a bike shop for similar gear parts was $560+!!!!!! that was going to spell the end of the project but I seem to keep finding the bits I need through really helpful people like you and Don, many thanks to you both. I will be in touch soon as I need a right side crank case cover as the one on the bike isn't even a TY cover! There can't be much else left, I think I have removed, inspected, replaced or resurrected nearly every part of the bike now.

Cheers,
Johnsy
:D

beau243
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: ty 250

Postby beau243 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:27 am

IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
THis is my resto of my 1977 TY250 D still minor things to do to it but geting there
Attachments
IMG_0191.jpg
IMG_0191.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 4003 times

Johnsy
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Yamaha TY175

Postby Johnsy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 am

Well here it is…. Finished…. Although I am still waiting on replacement shocks from the UK as the ones they sent me earlier are self destructing after only two rides! I have replaced, selector drum, gears, crank bearings, engine seals, spark plug, condenser, points, bash plate, fork seals, wheel bearings & seals, spokes, tyres, brakes, shockies, throttle body, cables, rebuilt the carby and reconditioned just about every other part on the bike. It’s taken 4 months but worth doing every bit of it. This is the bike I should have had as a kid to learn how to ride and do mechanical work, well I finally got to do it in the end. A big thank you to Greg Harding who provided me with quite a few parts, lots of advice and a set of wheels while I was waiting for my spokes to turn up from Thailand (there’s another story) and to Don in Wauchope who also provided me with parts and great advice.
Cheers,
Johnsy
=D>
Attachments
My_TY175_4_S.jpg
My_TY175_4_S.jpg (144.87 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
My_TY175_1_S.jpg
My_TY175_1_S.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 3932 times

Reinald
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: SWM TL320 1982
Club: WDTC

Postby Reinald » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:35 am

Just a few mods to the old girl.
Falcon shocks, electronic ignition, Sammy miller front pipe.... Starts easier, pulls better down low, dropped forks through 25mm to balance height as shocks are 35mm longer than what was on at 320mm.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150774597039243&set=o.251035327372&type=1&theater
and the mounting detail...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150774595434243&set=o.251035327372&type=1&theater

I'd rather be a D grade participant than an A grade spectator....

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Johnsy wrote:Well here it is…. Finished…. Although I am still waiting on replacement shocks from the UK as the ones they sent me earlier are self destructing after only two rides! I have replaced, selector drum, gears, crank bearings, engine seals, spark plug, condenser, points, bash plate, fork seals, wheel bearings & seals, spokes, tyres, brakes, shockies, throttle body, cables, rebuilt the carby and reconditioned just about every other part on the bike. It’s taken 4 months but worth doing every bit of it. This is the bike I should have had as a kid to learn how to ride and do mechanical work, well I finally got to do it in the end. A big thank you to Greg Harding who provided me with quite a few parts, lots of advice and a set of wheels while I was waiting for my spokes to turn up from Thailand (there’s another story) and to Don in Wauchope who also provided me with parts and great advice.
Cheers,
Johnsy
=D>

The newer model Betor shocks have been improved quite a lot................was at a trial last week where someone had done 4 trials before both shocks started to leak! I would suggest getting a refund (Betor shocks are not fit for purpose, as have heard they are now being made in China, and quality is even worse than the Spanish made ones!), and buying Falcon.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”