TLR Engine Reassembly

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TLR/Cota247

Re: TLR Engine Reassembly

Postby keychange » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 pm

"Only a thought" - one never learns if one never has a go :)

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:26 pm

A complete rebuild on a TLR motor might not be the ideal thing for a newcomer to engine building to start with? Its also very easy to get confused if you are relying on help from forums such as this one, where entirely contradictory views on how to do something, means its pretty much a matter of pinning the tail on the donkey and hoping for the best.

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby keychange » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm

I am new to 4 stroke motorcycle engine bottom ends ie: never split the cases on a 4 stroke before - but 4o years of owning bikes I have done quite a bit on top ends and on 2 strokes. My Cota 247 gave me hell for a while but now runs very nicely and that required a lot of perseverance - and learning.

Having a 6 week break between dismantle and starting the reassembly didn't help - although there were no parts left over so that is a good sign ;)

I live in an out of the way spot - nearest bike shop is well over an hours drive each way. Basically if I can't fix most things myself then I don't want to own it - but I don't give up easily and I will start again on the Honda and see how I go.

Thanks for the input so far - I have learned a lot through this exercise and I will post a video with sound when it is running smoothly again.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 pm

keychange wrote:"Only a thought" - one never learns if one never has a go :)

Exactly - which is why you should NOT give up.Gather as much info as you can,make notes,take pics,(Easy now with digy cameras)and dont force anything.If you get to a bit where you cant make progress and its winding you up leave it for a while and drink tea/beer etc.... Make sure you are mostly sober before you start again,most times things will fall into place first time when you start afresh.
You can learn an awful lot in a classroom and by reading - but you REALLY learn by doing.
Good Luck !

TriCub
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Triumph
Club: Wester districs trials club

Postby TriCub » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:06 pm

keychange wrote:"Only a thought" - one never learns if one never has a go :)

Good quote but there is another."Lessons learned can be expensive".

Don't give up as the little Honda motors have been around for years and are one of the easier 4 strokes to work on. With the aid of forums like this you can get a vast amount help, you just have to work out who to ignore and who to believe. What could possibly go wrong and think of all the fun trying.

Where does the knock sound like it is coming from?

Andy M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Andy M » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 am

I think I've read all the input here, are you sure the valve timing is spot on?? If it's been covered before then so be it... :oops:

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Postby FM350 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

keychange wrote:I am new to 4 stroke motorcycle engine bottom ends ie: never split the cases on a 4 stroke before - but 4o years of owning bikes I have done quite a bit on top ends and on 2 strokes. My Cota 247 gave me hell for a while but now runs very nicely and that required a lot of perseverance - and learning.

Having a 6 week break between dismantle and starting the reassembly didn't help - although there were no parts left over so that is a good sign ;)

I live in an out of the way spot - nearest bike shop is well over an hours drive each way. Basically if I can't fix most things myself then I don't want to own it - but I don't give up easily and I will start again on the Honda and see how I go.

Thanks for the input so far - I have learned a lot through this exercise and I will post a video with sound when it is running smoothly again.

The very best way to learn is to closely watch someone who knows exactly what they are doing, and ask questions as the job progresses. Its pretty easy to make errors which might turn out to be costly in terms of both time and money, and information posted on forums such as this, might in some cases be far from accurate. The Honda motor is very easy to work on, but if you have not done one before and cant find anyone to assist, then getting a Honda parts book so you have clear line drawings which show what goes where is really useful.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:59 am

I use an automotive stetyscope for knocks etc, which I bought from supercheap auto for around 10 bucks[which is about 5 pommy pence]it works great and you can \:D/ pinpoint anything, even a fuel injectors ticking :P

keychange
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby keychange » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:43 am

best way to learn is to closely watch someone
I repeat I live in an out of the way spot but I have 10 small engines including several form the late 70's that I somehow manage to keep running but my Dad was a motor mechanic and I spent countless hours with him working on our cars and old bush bashers when I was a kid. Of course cars are not bikes but I do have a reasonable understanding of mechanics (I used to repair clocks and even fob watches for a hobby) and I have most of the tools that I need but my hearing is not great (too old and too many hours in front of a guitar amp) and so I find it difficult to pin point the knocking. I tried a medical stethoscope but that didn't work so back to the full steel shafted driver ie: steel cap on handle - I will try and get a mechanics steth next weekend.

What I mainly lack is time as I have a busy job so the Honda has been reassembled on a make shift bench in my home office - coz it is too cold outside at night. I have digital copies of the manual, the parts manual and a clymer book and have tried to follow these however there are sections such as the tensioner arm that is simply skipped over and the digital pictures don't provide enough detail .... I don't place too much faith in the Clymer.

Here is an audio of the motor http://andrewhunter.com/bikes/TLR.mp3

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:12 am

Yes the medical stetyscopes dont work,mainly because the nurses head gets in the way, but you can actually mail order the mechanics one from super cheap.
Must agree, the Clymers books are rubbish. :-s

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”