How to build a pre65

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

manxman
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: TL125
Club: Coona MCC

How to build a pre65

Postby manxman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:39 pm

Thought I might keep the pot boiling.
http://www.classicbikersclub.com/articl ... d-crusader

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: How to build a pre65

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Looks like the type of bike anyone with a lathe, CNC mill, and a TIG welder in their workshop would be able to knock up over a couple of months.

brt650
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Bultaco 350 Sherpa T
Club: DMCC

Postby brt650 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:38 pm

What a great Idea.
What frame number do I need to stamp on my new light weight frame to make it P65?
Or will a P65 engine be good enough?
Thanks Pete

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:20 pm

There are a couple of guys riding local club trials on hand built Brit powered twin-shocks, which run and ride better than most twin-shocks I have ridden. The fact that these riders are regular winners at the local club events where they ride the P65 class, doesnt seem to worry those running these events, even though the majority of competitors are all on authentic bikes!

These 2 bikes supposedly cost £15k each to build, and have engineering which is far more advanced than the machines featured in the CDB article. This type of workmanship is to be greatly admired, but not entirely sure how those riding in the same events on much more authentic bikes, feel about getting beaten by them at each and every event where the Brit twin-shock riders are competing?

mik60ish
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TXT 250, TY175, Cub.
Club: TGA

Postby mik60ish » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 am

FM350 wrote:There are a couple of guys riding local club trials on hand built Brit powered twin-shocks, which run and ride better than most twin-shocks I have ridden. The fact that these riders are regular winners at the local club events where they ride the P65 class, doesnt seem to worry those running these events, even though the majority of competitors are all on authentic bikes!

These 2 bikes supposedly cost £15k each to build, and have engineering which is far more advanced than the machines featured in the CDB article. This type of workmanship is to be greatly admired, but not entirely sure how those riding in the same events on much more authentic bikes, feel about getting beaten by them at each and every event where the Brit twin-shock riders are competing?

That wouldn't be the Hand brothers? from Gillingham Dorset.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:12 am

mik60ish wrote:
FM350 wrote:There are a couple of guys riding local club trials on hand built Brit powered twin-shocks, which run and ride better than most twin-shocks I have ridden. The fact that these riders are regular winners at the local club events where they ride the P65 class, doesnt seem to worry those running these events, even though the majority of competitors are all on authentic bikes!

No,Roger and Steve spend hours in the workshop,VERY clever engineers - but dont need to spend that kind of money.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:18 pm

mik60ish wrote:

Yes Steve and Roger............... and having seen the work thats gone into those bikes I would say that if someone wanted one, that the £15k build cost is really rather low! From a technical perspective I would say these 2 bikes are close to being the very best Brit twin-shocks around in the UK currently, and head and shoulders above any of the bikes available commercially.

mik60ish
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: TXT 250, TY175, Cub.
Club: TGA

Postby mik60ish » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 pm

(Yes Steve and Roger) They built my Tiger Cub about 12 years ago prior to moving to NZ 9years ago, could do with some of their work again but not practical now.

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:51 pm

I still think the Chinese could knock up something similar for few grand and couple of hundred$ in after market parts would get it up to scrach, 8-[

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:08 pm

Steve and Roger have I think gone as far with Cubs as they can without billet crankcases etc etc, and thats the reason for them building the Villiers powered twin-shocks. Very impressive, and things like the Gas Gas wheels converted to drum brakes seem to me a great idea.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”