TY gear lever

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Banshee
Junior participant
Junior participant

TY gear lever

Postby Banshee » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Not sure if I've posted this in the right section but here goes.Just purchased a TY 250 about '90 model I think but it has a bodgey gear lever off something else (according to previous owner).Spoke to the local Yamaha dealer and he wants $170 for a new genuine one....Is there something more affordable available as I cant live with the one thats on it?Also the front disc is loose though the bolts are tight.Is it a simple case of puting some spring washers under the bolt heads to hold it? Appreciate any input you blokes can give me,thanks.

Tim Stone
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: TY175
Club: CQ

Re: TY gear lever

Postby Tim Stone » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:51 am

Hello, best to by a cheap steel gear lever and modify by heating bending shortening etc these can be brought through the Yamaha shop for about $20-$25 I think I purchased a YZ125 it was a MC brand. Other option is to get an Alloy one from TY Trials In the UK, this type is also off a YZ125 I think and needs to be fitted in a 45 degree angle facing up to miss the side cover, This type my not suit all.
As for the front disc it is supposed to float, if you take one bolt out there will be a small round spool in between the disc and the bolt, just remember to put alittle thread locker back on the thread when you refit it.

Banshee
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Banshee » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks for that Tim,I will chase one up in the next couple of days.Have to say the disc had me a bit uneasy,though this bike is old it's a mile ahead of the '70's models I used to muck around with as a young bloke,again thanks mate much appreciated.

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta

Postby AndrewT » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:16 pm

I wouldn't mess about making one - here's what you are looking for http://www.tytrials.co.uk/trailandtrial ... -Mono.html. Cheers AndrewT

Banshee
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Banshee » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks Andrew,I've gone with the Motocross one for the time being,but that is a great site and I can see them geting some of my hard earned.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”