Fourm popularity

Bits 'n pieces relating to your favourite trials website.

Moderator: Moderators

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Fourm popularity

Postby Neo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:35 am

Hi all,

I haven’t been so active on this forum lately, as I’ve been preoccupied with other things. But I’m just surprised how few posts there has been these past few weeks. If this website was a business I’d be very worried it was about to go bust. ^(=)^ But of course it’s not. But it must lack something that’s needed to bring, those interested, back time and time again. #-o

I for one would like to see this site grow because it is a true community forum that’s run by the Trials Community, thanks to Keith.

But what we need are some new ideas. Something new in the sections. Something interactive and something good for everyone. I’ve racked my brains but I can’t come up with anything at the moment. But I know that one of you (or some of you) out there have the answer.

What can we do to boost this sites popularity, participation and posts??

Please give us your ideas here. I’m sure Keith is always open to new ideas.

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

jack

Postby jack » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:10 pm

why not have a videos section???? that would be cool
just a thought.....

but it is a great site,and these message boards should be used more often, its been a quiet around here for too long. :(

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:28 pm

I check this site every time I'm on the internet but there are hardly any new posts.

I've been thinking of what sites I my time at and why but I'm not sure if any of this will help or not. Anyways, here it is:

http://www.ronronmx.com I go here heaps and am a top ten poster :oops: I only really post in the general topic which most of the time has nothing to do with motorbikes or Stephane Roncada, there is always 4 or 5 people on.

http://www.stuntlife.com I normally just check in to see what video clips people have posted but stay for an hour or so :oops: I think the reason I spend so much time here is because there are heaps of sub-forums but there is also usually a thousand or so people on line. Almost every top rider is a poster on stuntlife.

http://www.ozstuntbikes.com I know a lot of the people on this site personally but have found it a bit boring at times. When there is a decent arguement then there is a lot of activity but there aren't that many members. Pretty much every stuntrider in Australia is signed up to that.

http://www.thumpertalk.com I only check the exotics, trials and supermoto forums. They don't really have much activity and what's in the supermoto forum is usually American local stuff.

http://www.trialscentral.com I don't spend that much time there. I read most of the posts. Seems moderately active but not much matters to me like the manufacturer forums.

http://www.trials.com.au Spend hardly any time here. I have checked every new post since I signed up but haven't really posted anything other than a few questions. A lot of it doesn't apply to me. Replies have been helpful though. No video clips of members that I've seen, not many members and hardly any activity.

I don't know anything about Australian trials but are there any top pros posting on here? Also videos would be great but I think they would be better in he normal sections so people look at other topics. Maybe people could post photos of themselves at competitions they were at on the weekend or something? I think all the trials dealers need to be in on it too. Perhaps they could tell anyone that goes into their shops that they should check out this site for some good info... that's what I was told when I bought my bike. Maybe a sticker or two when someone signs up? The Suzuki Mighty Boy club gives stickers to each of its members when they sign up (sister and girlfriend both have them) then people would see the site on a few bikes and check it out. Are there many people who do trials in Australia? So far I have only met one person that does and he is selling his bike. I know there is a demo at the Sydney motor show but how about trying to get demonstrations at events like the Big Day Out? Is there a demonstration at the Sydney Easter Show? I'm not sure how hardcore trials riders feel about trick riding and stunt shows and that sort of thing but that's what made me buy my trials bike even though I do ride proper trials a lot now that I have it I still like that side of trials... I don't like FMX though :?

I'm just thinking out loud here :lol:

Also having a white background is horrible. I haven't checked if I can change the colour of it but it's much easier on the eyes to view a blue or dark background with white writing.

*Edit: Has anyone seen the ad with Trevor Marmalade with the cats in the backyard and they aren't doing anything then when he puts them all in the bag they are really active? :lol: It's for UDL... anyways, I just checked the dealer classifieds section and there is only one post :? Perhaps cut that section and get them to post in the for sale section and mention that they're a dealer or try and get them to list all the bikes they have? Maybe a range of accessories too. I want boots but have only found one place that sells them and that's in Victoria. I've been to around 20 bike shops in the last year but from what I remember none of them had any trials stuff. I have no idea where to go when I want stuff for trials. :cry:

*Edit 2: Did anyone see the small bit on trials on channel 10s RPM show? If you did, did you email them to tell them that you liked it? I did. I also email them whenever a stunt show is coming up hoping that they'll cover that instead of another V8 driver fishing or something.

I think the main problem is that not many people know about trials and even less know about this forum.

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:27 pm

S.E.Lucas wrote:I check this site every time I'm on the internet but there are hardly any new posts.

Lukey

Your post deserves a descent response and it is good to hear from someone that considers the web a useful source of information on the sport. But like Neo n Me you must spend more time than you would really like surfing the electronic super highway instead of making bike tracks while the sun shines.

As for me, my description says it all "basically lives here"!! That was not my words, that's written in by the mean, nasty. webmaster who rules this site with a chainmail Hebo glove! ( :P hi Keith :P ) If I was younger, braver and my body was not already beyond repair I would still aspire to make masters, but if I get to GB/C grade next year I'll be wrapped!

To answer a few of your questions....

I don't know anything about Australian trials but are there any top pros posting on here?

Nah hardly any top riders post here other than Sherco Girl (a goddess on two wheels) and Scorps our international correspondent and token weather girl holder) The poor buggers are too busy trying to make a living to pay for their sporting interests!

Also videos would be great but I think they would be better in he normal sections so people look at other topics.

Trouble is not many of us are on broadband so up/downloading is damn slow when you start talking 2-8megs and the website has limited bandwidth without someone paying for it (but the idea is great and I have some good vids of a number of riders and some boring ones of me!).

Maybe people could post photos of themselves at competitions they were at on the weekend or something?

We need more people taking and posting photo's

I think all the trials dealers need to be in on it too. Perhaps they could tell anyone that goes into their shops that they should check out this site for some good info... that's what I was told when I bought my bike.

Unfortunately, very few dealers have shops which is why this website is so important! As the newest dealer and someone that came into and located the sport through this site I agree!

Are there many people who do trials in Australia? So far I have only met one person that does and he is selling his bike.

Trials is a hidden sport and it shouldn't be! We have some fantastic riders here, young and old, male and female but we don't promote it well. Credit where it is due....most clubs are doing what they can and some people do more than their fair share (GaryG. DM etc. etc. etc.) but we need more.

I'm not sure how hardcore trials riders feel about trick riding and stunt shows and that sort of thing but that's what made me buy my trials bike even though I do ride proper trials a lot now that I have it I still like that side of trials... I don't like FMX though :?

I love FMX but even the heavily tattooed baggy pants boyz are coming back to earth as the tricks get bigger and trickier. Most of our X/A riders can do any number tricks and would enjoy putting on a show. They just need two things, sponsors and people to help promote them!

I'm just thinking out loud here :lol: So am I!

Also having a white background is horrible. I haven't checked if I can change the colour of it but it's much easier on the eyes to view a blue or dark background with white writing.

Don't muck with the colors we like it the way it is?????

I think the main problem is that not many people know about trials and even less know about this forum.

Lukey....we just need to make sure that potential new riders like you keep interested and keep involved......thanks for the post and I hope all the people that visit take onboard your message!

Just like you Neo to open eyes....keep it up!

AKA Scorpa Victoria (glad you saw the posts S.E. Lucas!!!!!)

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks for the response. Good to know someone read the whole thing :lol:

With the videos, you could host them on a site such as http://www.uponone.com and link to them if you have broadband. I don't have broadband but I'd download them overnight or something.

I've been hanging around with a few stunt riders who want to make a living riding (me included) and we've spent so much time thinking of ways to promote the sport and ourselves so this topic suited me :lol: . I don't know if there are any videos of australian trials riders but if they wanted a bit more exposure and maybe make some money they could make a freeride/playriding dvd like the mx ones?

I don't ride as much as I like but that's a lack of fitness more than anything else and I have a torn muscle in my right shoulder so I'm practising turns and that sort of stuff. I'm unemployed at the moment so I ride everyday, I only jump on the internet inbetween when I'm having a rest or at nights.

Is masters like A grade?

Do you sell boots? :lol:

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:51 am

Lukey

Take a look at this http://www.scorpaaustralia.com/stuff.html

I have this Vid and it is really good if you want see the best riders in the country doing their thing. There are a few other home made DVD's floating around but I only know of one person here in Victoria that sells them. Most of mine are just short ones taken with a digital camera of low quality between 1 and 25mgs.

I know what the shoulder is like I'm recovering from a reconstruction and only got back on a bike last week after 4 months not being able to do anything much at all.

Masters is for riders over 35 that compete on the Yellow Line or B grade which is the next step after Grey Beard (over 40) that rides the C grade line if you are brave enough.

Lately there have been a few of our top riders going over to Indonesia doing demos and getting paid for it. They get good crowds coming to watch but we don't seen to have the same public interest here. The big trouble for the riders that go to Indo is that it takes weeks for their bikes to get there and back again so many of them have been missing trials because they have no spare bikes.

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Neo
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: 06 Sherco 250
Club: TCC

Postby Neo » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi All,

Nice posts Lukey and BJ.

This might be a half bate idea to bring in the younger Trials riders.

For those of you with ADSL/Cable (broadband connection). Check out this Java Demo Trials game.

http://www.miniclip.com/trialscy/trialscy_game.htm

Keith, could Trial Aus do some form of co-promotion with this site for the Trials Games?

Best of balance.

Neo

"Nothing more and nothing less than the vision of success"..... Ryan Leech
"TRIALS....It's not life or death....It's much more serious than that!!".....

Return to “Website news”