How to build a pre65

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Fantic
Club: Otter Vale

Re: How to build a pre65

Postby FM350 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:13 am

David Lahey wrote:
pop wrote:
FM350 wrote:Good idea, but not sure that info relating to a 1980s twin-shock bike, would help the Chinese much with building a P65?

It looks like there is atleast 50 motorcycle factories in china, im sure few could build a copy of a TY or TLR, and sell quite a few thousand units around the globe, probably more then Gas/beta combined, and i dont think Chinese give hoot about copy rights so they can copy anything. No I didnt mean P65s. :-s

Why not P65? I believe pre-65 replica frames (Rickman MX frames) are already being made in a Chinese factory run by an enterprising Aussie.
Note for FM350 - they are REPLICA Rickman frames, not modern designs - so would be OK to use in Aussie competition

Not sure I would want to trust a Chinese made Mettisse frame, as those made in the UK and Holland by top class frame builders, very often suffer with top tube breakages, when used in serious competition? I would guess if the Chinese ones are being made out of thicker gauge tubing though, there is much less chance of any problems, and they should sell very well indeed.

Andy M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Andy M » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:08 am

A couple of people have had a go, the Cotswold wasn't a bad bike , the engine was quite good for a Chinky item, they didn't survive due to cost I suppose. There are some "new" frames being built for various pre 65s eg Bantams and Cubs as well as the bigger lumps, not cheap, can't see many wanting to throw too much at the Chinks. They knocked out some XL125 copies a few years ago, they had a very short life, many didn't see their first MOT (3 yrs), whilst there are some genuine items still about, eg XL's from the 70s.

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:52 am

In terms of cost I hear that one of the least expensive frames for a Bantam motor is £900. This is nothing like anything P65, and certainly not a "replica" of anything made by BSA. Cant really see why exactly there is any sort of objection to using something from a TS bike, which costs a lot less money, and is just as authentic as the expensive modern frame kit?

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:03 am

There seems to be 2 ways to deal with Chinese manufacturing, 1 is to give them bucket fulls of money and tell them what you want, the other is to give them an idea and let them run with it, the latter being better as no need to go on medication. Apart from few pit bikes and one MX bike[odes] and Kymco quads, the rest are basicly selling unwanted/no purpose junk, so my idea was to send them some ideas, even if its a duel purpose Trial/AG bike like the Kawasaki Sherpa from the early 90s. :-s 8-[
:?

FM350
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby FM350 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:15 am

Why not have a look a existing Chinese trail bikes, and see if conversion to trial spec would be possible? If so get a bike done, and send it back to China and get them to copy it exactly.

Andy M
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Andy M » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:57 am

Not a pre 65 or a Brit, but this was a Chinese XL copy converted to trials.Not a bad performer a few years back...

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:23 am

Andy M wrote:Not a pre 65 or a Brit, but this was a Chinese XL copy converted to trials.Not a bad performer a few years back...

I just realised that MR Wong only produces copies of the XL Honda 250 and the postie/crf minibike engines that are fitted to everything, so a TY copy would be out.

oldslowcoach
C grade participant
C grade participant
Club: wdtc

Postby oldslowcoach » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm

The Hand bikes Dec 2006
Hand bikes.JPG
Hand bikes.JPG (45.13 KiB) Viewed 7662 times

yorkshireracer
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Suzuki TS250

Postby yorkshireracer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi guys, I've just joined the forum. I run a motorbike engineering business in New Zealand and am SERIOUSLY looking at possibility of producing classic trials frames. I used to build grasstrack and speedway frames in UK and currently getting bits together to build a bike (including frame) to ride in twinshock.
I'd REALLY appreciate feedback on the following -
My preferance is to build frames that are either true replicas of classic / twin shock bikes or TRUE TO THE SPIRIT of the era, ie correct tube, period geometry etc. Would that be saleable or do people want updated versions with lighter frames, better brakes etc ?

What are most common engines for classic / twin shock ( I'm assuming things like Cubs, Bantams, early Honda and Yam ?)

Are there particular parts that people find difficulty getting ? Anything from petrol tanks to footrests.

All serious feedback would be appreciated. I'm looking at selling (hopefully) some in New Zealand initially but would like to get some into Australia as well.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:42 pm

If you are thinking of selling your replica stuff in Australia, it would be a good idea to have a read of the eligibility rules in the Aussie (MA) rulebook for Twinshock and Classic Trials classes
http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=1770

relax, nothing is under control

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”