Knee protection

The place to discuss your riding techniques.

Moderator: Moderators

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Knee protection

Postby S.E.Lucas » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:50 am

Does anyone here wear knee braces or guards or are they too restrictive? I've looked through all of my pictures from a few world rounds and couldn't see any pros wearing anything. After I hurt my left knee I went out and bought the best braces I could find without going custom... should've bought them before I was hurt :oops: anyways, I was just wondering if they'd work for trials or if I should sell them on ebay and buy something else.

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:30 pm

Lucas

I went looking at knee guards a couple of weeks ago. I wanted something that just tucked into my boot with no straps. No such animal could be found. There are plenty of MX ones on the marked but with two and three straps and designed to worn under riding pants I think they'd get too hot and be restrictive. Only thing I could see that could do the job is skateboarders knee and elbow cups but I think they would move around too much. If anyone knows where I can get something that goes into a boot let me know!

BJ
Gone over to the Dark Side for a bit!!!!
http://www.parlagully.com

Sherco H
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby Sherco H » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:07 pm

Judging by the way your riding that new Scorpa, in your video clip. You`ll need a parachute aswell.

ShercoH
I`m a pupil of experience !!

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:34 pm

Howard

Now you've let the cat out of the bag......I wish it was me. Sad to say even the superior machinery I now own is not enough get me doing that (well not this week anyway)!

Maybe I should run a competition to guess who the rider is???? A beer with Benny R could be the first prize!!! Or a pillion ride with Sherco Girl over the Opera House?????? :mrgreen:

Sorry Lucas we were talking about having adequate protection before Howard got us sidetracked!

BJ

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:47 pm

That's alright. I think I know who the rider is though :D

BAT Woman
LittleMissBrainy
LittleMissBrainy

Postby BAT Woman » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:12 pm

Hey guys,
I always wear knee guards. Just buy the MX ones that fit you, unpick the stitching that holds on the straps & stuff them into your boots. I wear them inside my riding pants so they do not flop around. Saved me from many a sore knee. Even with them on I have come away with a bump at times, hate to think what the damage would have been without them.
Hope this helps :thumb: .
Bev

Sherco Girl
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Sherco Girl » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:53 pm

I'VE GOT A BONE TO PICK!!! :twisted:

BJ Scorps - How on earth did I become a possible prize I have nothing to do with Scorpas. Perhaps if this was Sherco related I'd be more than happy to negotiate something. But as it is leave me out of it.

Sherco Girl

BJ
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby BJ » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:40 pm

Sorry Sherco Girl

:cry: I was just trying to inspire Scorps to win and you're always the one that makes him pick up his game 8) .

I promise to leave you out of all Scorpa discussions in the future....Unless Benny beats ya!!!! But nah it'll never happen.....will it??????

BJ

KTMSprocket
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby KTMSprocket » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:09 am

Fox Extreme kneeguards are excellent (of course not the same thing as the 'knee braces' which have a different purpose).

We tuck the knee guards down the front of the boots.

Tee-Why
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Tee-Why » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:32 am

I swear by wearing kneebraces. If I wasnt, I would not be riding. I have weak knees after a substantial anterior ligament tear to one knee, and the other has copped a hiding - note this was all due to riding enduros years ago!

I wear the Steven Gall CTI carbon fibre ones, cost a small packet then $1500, and believe they are around $1700> even now. I see then as insurance, because one twist on that knee would see me out of action for weeks. I hav had mine for over 10 years, but not used that much between then.

Yes they are a little uncomfortable and cumbersome, but fit ok under normal riding pants and boots. You do get used to them soon enough and forget you are wearing them. They do have a built in knee guard cap also.

The idea wearing one on the other ok knee is to prevent that one coming to fate also, so buying a pair is not such a bad idea.

Cheers,
Roger

I would rather push my twinshock than ride a modern!

Return to “Trials Tips & Techniques”