TUBLISS - Conversion From Tube to Tubless

Found a cool product? Want to let the rest of us know about it? Do it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

TUBLISS - Conversion From Tube to Tubless

Postby Stanm » Sun May 18, 2014 8:51 pm

Sick of walking my bike back after pinching the tube on a big rock. The IRC is just about unridable when flat and would be destroyed.
I bought a tubliss conversion and installed it on my TY250 1.85 skinny rim. It worked well today on the first ride with a Michelin X light.
So hopefully no more pinch flats.
There was some installation issues

If you want to know more let me know

Joe Henderson
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: Fantic 240
Club: Trials Club of Canberra

Re: TUBLISS - Conversion From Tube to Tubless

Postby Joe Henderson » Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 am

StanM,

Tell us more, with pictures please, and where to get them.

Joe.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Mon May 19, 2014 9:02 am

Yes please I would like to hear more too, having bought a Tubliss but not tried it yet
Joe I bought mine from the local motorbike shop. Apparently what we use them for is a bit of a sideline for Tubliss. They developed them to make MX tyres work better and reduce the likelyhood of impact flats in MX racing. They are not commonly used up here yet though. I was the first person who had ever bought one through the shop I went to.

relax, nothing is under control

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm

The tubliss system uses kind of a small tire inside of the main tire with a tube inside of it.
The small tire ( about 40mm in cross section diameter) is pumped up with a small tube. They are made by nuetech.

The web site instructions with video for each step are very good. (nuetech.com/tubliss/) looking at this is much better than me supplying photos. Keep in mind you do have to drill an additional 11mm hole in your rim.

The installation looks easy on the video and I think it would be OK/better with the TY250 A rim ( wider) But they did say it is OK for 1.85 width which is stamped on the skinny B or E rim i used.
I was installing a used Michelin x lit
Anyway it all went OK until I was spooning on the final tire bead, Because the rim is skinny the bead was not being allowed to drop into the center of the rim because it was restricted by the tubliss set up.
It was extremely difficult to get on. Several helpers squashing, stretching and stomping and it finally went on.

You then slosh lots of soapy water inside the tire and supposed to pump the Tubliss bladder to 110psi which my compressor would no do. I got it to 95psi.
One side of the bead did not go on. The instructions don't say it but all you need to do is put some pressure in the tire and it went on easily. There was no popping on sensation with this tire rim combination.

I noticed the tire wall had a leak so I put 100 ml slime in the tire. And sloshed it about. The next morning the tire had held pressure.

Test Riding
I ran the tire with 5psi , rode for several hours and was hitting some largish obstacles and it felt good. I kept checking to see if the valve stems moved but they did not. I have a trial this weekend and will let you know how the tubliss goes.

Also I am thinking that it will be hard to get the tire off now. Also a reminder you cannot use a tire that has been used with rim locks.

The above is a brief summary and you should follow the full installation instructions to install correctly.

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Mon May 26, 2014 11:57 am

Just some quick feed back on the Tubliss. Rode the trial without a problem. It was really good to feel you could hit the rocks a bit harder without the fear of a pinch flat.
Found another guy at the trial who had a Tubliss installed as well. He has been riding with it for 12 months and said it was good and he had no problems to install.
Two at one Trial so I recon there must be others out there with them installed.
He also had a high pressure hand bike pump that pumped up to 110psi easily.
Cheers

Jeremy7086
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby Jeremy7086 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Hey Stanm,

A great idea actually, but I read somewhere that while installing you can use SLIME as a lubricant and tire sealant. Running slime in the tire and the high pressure tube will be more beneficial than usual, like you do not need to check the tires for at least month. Without slime, the tires leak 5-10psi a week. The slime acts as a lubricant. Is it true??

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Thu May 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Jeremy
The instructions do say you can use slime as a lubricant on installation as an option. This is so you get the slime in for puncture protection. (Then you don't use the soapy water that would water down the slime and make it to thin to work). I did not follow these instructions.
The instructions did say that the high pressure tube would need to be checked at every ride. So adding slime would help you would think.

I have only had it installed for two weeks so I will try give some progressive feed back down the track. Saying that if I have problems I will post them.
No post will indicate no problems

Cheers

Stan

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:16 am

Hi Folks
Just an update on the Tubliss system. I had one of my sons old Xlite installed. Pretty worn but it got good grip as I ran a pound or two lower than with a tube.
I smashed into rocks and saved at least half a dozen tube pinches. Examination showed no rim damage. So i am really happy with the system.
I bought a new X11 and installed it yesterday. Again I am talking about the skinny 185 TY250 D rim. The X 11 seem even harder to install than the Xlite. Once installed on the rim the rim lock/ tire pressure valve would not protrude enough through the rim. I nearly gave up and was going try install on a wider rim. I then tied a length of 100 x 50 timber to the rim and with two people pushed down on the top of the tire just to get the nut on. It took 120psi in the bladder and 80psi in the tire to seat it.
This worked. Once on and and sealed the system is great. For this skinny Ty rim it is a pain to install. Or I am doing something wrong?
If others have found installation easy I would be interested to hear.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info Stan. I still haven't tried my tubliss yet

relax, nothing is under control

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Just a final update. I had another pinch flat on my practice bike so I bought another tubliss. So you would rightly assume i am pretty impressed with them.
The benefit is no fear of severe pinch flats and greater grip in running the tire at a lower pressure.
I installed the tubliss on the ty250 A (wider) rim with much less effort that the skinny rim.
Follow the instructions and you wont have a problem.

Cheers

Return to “Product reviews”