Transporting your bike?

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Craigus77
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: REV3 200

Transporting your bike?

Postby Craigus77 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Howdy all..

I have a dumb question (again)

When transporting my bikes I've always used a chock between the front tyre and the under side of the guard.. Problem is, trials bike guards are on the tyre.
How does everyone get around this to save the constant pressure on the forks damaging seals??

Cheers.

'02 BETA REV-3 200
:beta

cota
C grade participant
C grade participant

Re: Transporting your bike?

Postby cota » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:29 pm

I use the Tyre Down http://www.kyaracing.com.au/off_road_tyre_down.htm for off road bikes on my easytrailer 4'x3.5' - 830TAhttp://www.easytrailer.com.au/multifunction_trailers.html fitted with the single motorbike channel. The "tyredowns" work great - stabilise the rear wheel. I then use stabilising tiedowns on the lower fork tubes up front (at front fender level) purely as peace of mind and extra stabilisation but the forks are not under any tension and can move with the bike. Never had a problem using this system for more than 3 years.

I don't need help - I can fall off all by myself.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Postby David Lahey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:37 pm

Option 1 You can use a kids pneumatic ball that has just the right amount of air so you can fit it between the fork tubes. The ball spreads out on the guard and avoids the damage that a solid chock would cause to the guard
Option 2 Use a solid chock that acts between parts on the bike that are strong enough to withstand the force, ie between the lower triple clamp and the fork slider or axle

I personally don't use anything there myself, do transport my bikes with the front pulled down and don't have any problems with fork seals leaking in transit

relax, nothing is under control

S.E.Lucas
B grade participant
B grade participant
Bike: 00 290, 4RT

Postby S.E.Lucas » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:59 pm

Tie the front wheel into the corner. Tie the back wheel to the side of the trailer. Now that both wheels won't bounce around tie the handlebars to the sides where the ties won't slide along. Don't need to compress the forks at all. Bike will sway around but not fall over.

TaffyEvans
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Harley D
Club: None

Postby TaffyEvans » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi, on local trips around town I don't bother, but on longer trips I put a milk crate under the bash plate. I keep it in place with a ocky strap hooked in one side over the bike and into the other side, or a couple of those short straps through the footpegs.
Cheers Taff

Terryg
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby Terryg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:27 pm

BorisTas
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: '12 Cabby , TRL260
Club: TMTC

Postby BorisTas » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:36 pm

They work a treat Grumps , can buy similar at Supercheap for up to half as much on special . $100 now but regularly $60 odd :-)

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/search?w=Motorcycle%20wheel%20chocks

"I'm all for buying more bikes more often. Why pay off the morgage or save for retirement or stick your money in super, buy bikes and live." {Craypot}

thumper-darryl
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Beta
Club: CQTC

Postby thumper-darryl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Like Cota said, if you can stabilize the rear wheel you need basically nothing on the front wheel.
I use a hitch mount carrier for either my trials bike or the Adv bike. I use a good quality ratchet tie down with carribeners on the ends. Loop the strap around the top of the rear wheel a couple of times and then down to the ratchet portion. Once tightened down there is NO movement of the bike. I throw a couple of tie downs onto the front triple clamps just for show. Even the big bikes do not move an inch.

Last night the ground spoke to me. It said" Do not fear, when you fall I will catch you"

Return to “Technical help”