Photos/Article >> Chris Leighfield Trials School and Trial

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

mattyl01
Website Wrangler
Website Wrangler
Bike: GasGas
Club: Matt Langtree

Photos/Article >> Chris Leighfield Trials School and Trial

Postby mattyl01 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Article by Ian Johnson

While ferreting through some old photographic stuff, I found a box of slides. I have some memory of the time they were taken but it is a bit hazy as it was 40 years ago. Unfortunately, like me the slides have lost their edge and a lot of clarity. If some of these details are wrong, I am certainly open to correction.

The slides were taken at a Chris Leighfield Trials School, which was held on Saturday the 17th March 1975 and there are also some from a trial which was held the next day (note the bibs we had to wear). The Trials School and the trial were both held at the old Mount Sugarloaf venue near Newcastle. The Hunter Valley Light Cycle Club organised both the Trial School and the Trial.

01 S2 Chris Leighfieldbb.jpg
01 S2 Chris Leighfieldbb.jpg (189.88 KiB) Viewed 9183 times

The Sugarloaf venue was well used with Hunter Valley Light Cycle Club and Maitland Motorcycle Club both holding trials there. Kingsley Waters was the main driving force for the Maitland trials and sometimes trials were held at Sugarloaf on consecutive weekends.

This will be bringing back memories for many older trials riders. As a beginner to competition, I loved it and I seem to remember Peter Paice always winning on 8 - 12 points with Frank Hull coming second. Mal Robinson was an A grader riding a Suzuki RL250, as was Murray Johansen. In those days, all riders rode the same section. Splits are essential these days but back then they weren’t necessary.

I have converted the slides to digital files but unfortunately they haven’t aged that well. The slides feature a young Greg Nordsvan who is still riding today and who competed at the recent Aussie Titles.

You will see a young and very keen Tim English, now living in Qld and who also competed at the recent Aussie Titles. Tim had just bought a new TY250B and after the Trials School, he cleaned up C Grade in two consecutive trials at Mount Sugarloaf to progress to B grade. He is seen getting his trophy.

There is a shot of Murray Johansen riding in the trial on his Suzuki RL250. He is in a section which had 2 subsections, which was rare but a lot of fun. We must have been thinking of the SSDT.

09 S2 Joe Psarrosb.jpg
09 S2 Joe Psarrosb.jpg (239.48 KiB) Viewed 9183 times

Many may remember Joe Psarros, the guy riding without a shirt - as he often did! If you hear crazy stories about Joe, they are all true as I was there or nearby for a lot of them.

Don Everingham, Peter Finch, Phil Rogers, are there and readers may recognise people I have forgotten.

Other readers may drool over Chris’ Ossa and it certainly left an impression, it was immaculate. Our Bultaco alloy guards were all wrecked and replaced with plastic while Chris’ guards shone bright. The bike ran and sounded beautiful as well, so machine preparation was obviously a big part of his trials success.

I remember reading an article on Trials Australia by Peter Paice I think, and he asked “Old trials riders, where are they?” This is my fifth time coming back to the sport and some of the old trials riders are still around.

Anyway, I hope these shots are of interest.

Feet up

Ian Johnson

---

Full photo gallery available here: http://trials.com.au/photos/1975-chris-leighfield-trials-school-3148

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Photos/Article >> Chris Leighfield Trials School and Tri

Postby David Lahey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:43 am

That's fantastic Ian. Thankyou for doing that

relax, nothing is under control

logan
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby logan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:12 am

Hi Ian, fantastic photos!!

I believe the photo marked Jeff Gough maybe is Actually Robert Gough,

only going by the hair and sideburns.

Thanks

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:21 pm

logan wrote:Hi Ian, fantastic photos!!

I believe the photo marked Jeff Gough maybe is Actually Robert Gough,

only going by the hair and sideburns.

Thanks

I reckon that TY250B coming up out of the creek is Robert Gough, and the TY175B rider coming towards the camera is Jeff Gough

logan
C grade participant
C grade participant

Postby logan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:31 pm

Yes that is correct David, I haven,t change at all....robert g

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:14 pm

logan wrote:Yes that is correct David, I haven,t change at all....robert g

I remember watching you practising on a B model 250 (solo) one afternoon at Murrarrie with Gary. I guess it would have been that same year as Ian's photo

sharvie
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby sharvie » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:38 pm

And Mr Nordsvan still knows every rock at Mt Sugarloaf by name, also probably still has that Sherpa.

Sharvie ~ Maitland NSW

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”