Mono ?

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Mono ?

Postby Guy53 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:45 am

I know that I'm posting this question in what appear to be in the wrong subject, but I want the input from twinshock riders. I owned and ride a ts TY 250 in competiton, ( more for fun ) , unfortunately, I don't have any place to practice, but I would have more chance to ride with a monoshock. I don't want to invest a fortune in a mono since I realy have more interest in twinS so I am thinking about buying a used mono. I have an interest in a Scorpa Sy ( not the long ride ). Does anybody have an input on my tought.
Guy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Mono ?

Postby David Lahey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:53 am

Guy the two stroke SY250 with the Yamaha motor is very reliable, and feels good to ride. The only issue I had riding one is that you have to lift your leg a long way up to get it on the kickstart.
Ownership issues that I have come across include:
The actuating arm on the clutch camshaft has broken on a couple I know of (is easy to fix)
The main chamber of the exhaust can split at the seam (caused by a minor internal explosion) if the motor is not fully stopped before you take your finger off the killswitch

relax, nothing is under control

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:59 pm

"The main chamber of the exhaust can split at the seam (caused by a minor internal explosion) if the motor is not fully stopped before you take your finger off the killswitch"
But this only happened on early ones, as the Scorpa factory reinforced that area on the later bikes.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Guy,why not just ride your twinshock in modern trials, I've done this here in the UK and had great fun riding the clubman route.

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:42 am

The thing is, they don't realy make TS frendly sections around here at Mono events, and there is kind of a, how can I say " we don't realy like TS around here " attitude with many mono riders. That's probably why I enjoy our TS group so much, you can come and ride whatever you want as long as you don't destroy the furniture, and we will help you as much as we can. When I look at a Scorpa SY, it does not seem's like there is as much difference with my Ts ( all things relatives ) as when I look at let's say a Gas Gas or Sherco. Maybe I am way out in the field, but that's only my feeling.

Guy

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:07 am

Thats a shame Guy, here there are novice and club trials where you can get around on a twinshock and have a good time. Maybe an aircooled TY250/350 would be a good start if you don't feel happy using a twinshock at a modern trial ?

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Guy53 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:40 am

John, an air cooled mono in good shape would cost me around $2000.00 cdn and a better " new style " mono around $2500.00 to 3000.00 cdn, I don't know if riding a modern bike would mix me up or help me. I know that a TY mono is not that far from a TS because I owned a few in the past, but I never realy made a long ride on a modern bike and than change to my ts. Winter is coming and I think I would make a better deal at this time of year than in the spring. I think I will try to arrange a ride with the owner of the Scorpa I am looking at and see if it suit me. I realy don't know why I so inclined toward that Scorpa!
Guy

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”