1976 Honda tL 250

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

gonefishing 7
Junior participant
Junior participant

1976 Honda tL 250

Postby gonefishing 7 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:26 am

Hi to all. I am interested in any info about my 1976 Honda trials tl. It is the silver and red. Should i use it as a bush bike to get me to my fishing spots? or keep it stored as a collectable. I bought it from a bloke that has owned it since new. Everything on it is original. the side covers have been stored away so he didn't scratch them. He only rode it a few times and then carefully stored it. No scratches at all, so i gather he was not real adventurous on a bike, unlike me.
How many are in Australia? Are they a collectors bike ? Any ideas on how much it is worth also. cheers

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: 1976 Honda tL 250

Postby David Lahey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:26 pm

It's a great bike to get to out-of-the-way fishing spots if the terrain is too difficult to ride something more comfortable.
They were not popular as competition trials bikes when they came out, but were popular as reliable go-anywhere transport and also as farm bikes. They have increased in desirability in the past 15 years along with the increasing popularity of all twinshock trials bikes.
They are quite rare in the UK because there were very few sold there when they were new. There were plenty sold in Australia and the US.
All old bikes are collectors items in the eyes of the right person.

relax, nothing is under control

gonefishing 7
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby gonefishing 7 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 am

hi. thanks so much for all your info. much appreciated. i have just built a shed for her lol. so this weekend i might go fishing and ride. It hasn't been started for years and as i am a mechanic, done an overall on the bike. it went second kick. great. runs beautiful.cheers from Rossco i will keep update

tat ty
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby tat ty » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:28 pm

After 3 or 4 years searching for a "goodie" we found one a year ago. It had had an easy life and had been cosmetically restored, but mechanically he is as good as the day he was born. The tank was unblemished and side panels pretty good.

He is now used as a trail rider on open fire trails and also some challenging single track work.

Some may think that $3000 was a lot to pay, but I reckon it was money well spent.

If I was you, I would find another tank to use for day to day riding and store the pristine one. You will scratch your own eyes out with regret if you damage it. Same for the side panels ... Get some more from Inmotion Trials. The originals will be brittle.

Then just let him take you to your favourite fishing spot in greater comfort than any other twin shock will ever do.

Alastair.

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:25 am

Please look after it,they are a rare bike here in the UK - especially if its in good original condition. We don't often see them in good shape,most are brought in from the US, but are well used and need alot of work to get them in good nick.
They are not maybe the best trials bike,even when new - but they are much admired by people who grew up with 4 stroke trials bikes and didn't like the 2 stroke invasion.They look and sound great too !

gonefishing 7
Junior participant
Junior participant

Postby gonefishing 7 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:48 am

hi to all. cheers for your replies. Great.Yep i have decided to keep it in its original condition and just go for a buzz around backyard eh. I am so proud and it brings back memories from my young bloke days in the hills and river country. much appreciated from Rossco

RJ7
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: '76 TL250

Postby RJ7 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:23 am

Greetings,
If the bike well kept it can be worth $3000 - $4000 US.
Check ebay completed listings. If you don't mind, what did you pay for it?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”