Tyres for Twinshocks.

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Rod
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: GG & Fantic.
Club: Trials Club of Qld.

Tyres for Twinshocks.

Postby Rod » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:06 pm

As above, what trials tyre do people recommend for a twin shock trials bike, something that accepts a tube obviously and doesn't fall off the rim. '84 Fantic with akront rims specifically, but that shouldn't matter. I know that Michelin are premium, but they don't really seem to cater for older bikes that still run a tube.I've heard that some trials tyres on the market at the moment will not stay seated on the rim when pressures are lowered.

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Tyres for Twinshocks.

Postby David Lahey » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 pm

A few years ago I would have said IRC tube type on the rear, because they fit the old rims well and work well in sections and are cheaper than X11 Michelins, but I have not been able to source IRCs in Australia for a couple of years, and it costs a fortune in freight to import tyres individually.
Michelin stopped selling their rear tube type a few years ago but they didn't work that well anyway. It was a completely different construction to the X11, which does work very well
I've had good success with an X11 Michelin on a TY250D rim. It is a couple of years old now and is almost worn out, and it has stayed on the rim the whole time and never had a flat and is always run at ridiculously low pressure (the way I like it) with no rimlocks. However I did reshape the bead edge of the tyre with a knife and add a groove to the bead seat of the rim. I did it as an experiment and am now happy to know I can modify more of my rear twinshock rims so I can use X11 Michelins on them, if I need to. First off I did try that X11 Michelin on that TY250D rim with the tyre and rim unmodified and the tyre would not stay on the bead seat when I let the pressure down.
My other twinshock bikes are still running IRC tube type rears, bought when they were easily available
I bought a TUBLISS device to try it out, but when I read the fine print in the instructions, one of the requirements for it working properly was that it only be used on tyres that had never seen a rimlock, and I haven't been in that situation yet. There are people in the twinshock community who use the TUBLISS with success so I have no doubt it will work. My TUBLISS was approx $150 from memory, and they are reusable.
Some in the twinshock community have had tubeless rear rims fitted, and this simplifies things wonderfully, but is a very expensive option
From memory, your '84 Akront rim bead seat will probably have a similar shape to the TY250D rim bead seat.
If you can find a TY250A rear rim for your Fantic, an X11 tubeless will fit on and stay on with no issues.

relax, nothing is under control

Jon V8
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Ty250,Ht5.
Club: Bath Classic

Postby Jon V8 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:58 pm

We had a shortage of IRC rear tyres here in the UK about a year ago, they now seem to be easily available. Looking on Ebay there seems to be plenty in the US, is freight from there too expensive for say a group purchase ? I ask because I often end up sending stuff from the UK to my brother in Perth,or carrying a heavy bag when I visit...

Bully fanatic
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: Bultaco sherpa T
Club: westerndistricttrialsclub

Postby Bully fanatic » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:09 pm

I have heard from a mate who owns a bike shop that there is some IRC`s on there way over here now. They should be here very soon. The new Dunlops also look quite good. I have been using X11`s for ages now and they never sit properly on an Akront rim at low pressures. I never worry about how they want to sit on the rim but I do get a lot of comments from people riding behind me commenting on my rear tyre wobbling like crazy. Graham.

The Hell Team
Dealer
Dealer

Postby The Hell Team » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:01 am

I have IRC Trials tyres including Tubed Type rears for Twinshocks arriving this month. I know it's been a drought for a long time, so taking orders now fi anyone wants to secure some out of this shipment.

We can crate and freight bikes Australia wide for very reasonable rates. Ring or email with your location for freight quote.
The Hell Team Trials Store
whoever@thehellteam.com
http://www.thehellteam.com

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:56 pm

I bought a front & rear Mitas ET 01 which don't say tubeless, i've have had the front 1 on for a while & i find it quite good, haven't put the rear 1 on yet, the best thing was i rang my local Yamaha/KTM dealer & had them in 2 days

AndrewT
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Beta

Postby AndrewT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:47 pm

I run D901 Tubeless on TY250 Mono standard rim, and also on Beta Rev 80 on standard rim. I found using a 450 tube instead of a 400 tube stopped it dropping off bead at low pressures around 4 psi.

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”