TL125 Fork seals mystery

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

TL125 Fork seals mystery

Postby Jools » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:40 pm

K1 & K2 TL125 appear to have 2-peice fork seals. (I've done plenty of fork seals in the past but never seen ones like these).
On fork disassembly a seal comes out, it measures approx 30 x 40.5 x 7 -I'll call that seal A.
Left behind in the slider is what appears to be an 'incomplete' oil seal, call that seal B. Oil seal A fits into B.
The smaller seal A has 31 x 43 x 12.5 markings, but it's obviously not the size of the seal, but would probably be the size of the 2 seals assembled, i.e. A into B.
Parts manual shows one seal 91255-331-671 with the size of seal B. Maybe it just shows the 2 seals assembled.
(Sorry this gets a bit long winded!) When I ordered new seals (Pyramid Parts) I got normal one-peice seals marked 31 x 43 x 10.5, (Supposed to be 12.5). To fit these seals I'd need to extract the seals B from the sliders, -difficult, need to make up some sort of internal puller or cut them out.
Anyone encountered this?
(Note that Pyramid Parts also supplied incorrect dimension dust seals, sigh! -What's new!)

paulo
A grade participant
A grade participant

Re: TL125 Fork seals mystery

Postby paulo » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm

I'd be doing everything i could to avoid pyramid. From what you've written you've been down that path before? Not only are the seals crap, but they basically send you the first thing that comes to hand?

I would do some research and see if those forks were used on anything else and then try and find an allballs or moose kit for them.

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jools » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Pyramid have run out of my goodwill now that's for sure!
I'd still be interested in solving the mystery if anyone can shed any light...

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant

Postby Jools » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:25 pm

In case any others may encounter this problem, here's an easy solution. There's a commonly available oil seal which is 30 id x 40 od x 7, which works fine as the 'inner' oil seal element. Yes, it's a fraction smaller in OD so doesn't have the really tight interferance fit (OD 40mm as opposed to 40.5mm of the original Honda part). I test-fitted these to my sliders 'dry' and there is virtually no movement, so I coated the outer of the new seal with 3-bond and fitted it. There is a good substantial circlip that holds the seals anyway... pretty sure it won't be going anywhere.
Jools

lanhet
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Honda TL125

Postby lanhet » Mon May 11, 2020 3:34 am

The ”cup” inside the slider has to be removed for the new version of the OEM seal to fit. I used a combination of heat, internal puller, pry bar, and a fair amount of swearing (in French, I find it more effective...). You will inevitably do a bit of damage to the wall of the seal housing, so make sure there are no burrs that could damage the new seal. Once the new seal is in place, put the steel spacer that comes in the kit in place (to compensate for the seal being 10.5mm instead of 12.5mm), and then the circlip. Voilà !

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”