Parts for TY 250

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Parts for TY 250

Postby llewdaert » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:44 pm

Hello David[and others]
I am looking to purchase a TY 250 A- points/stator backing plate[or complete ignition].
I am in Newcastle but happy to pay postage.
Thanks
James Treadwell

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Parts for TY 250

Postby David Lahey » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:17 pm

I've got no spare ignitions from an A model, but suspect it might be interchangable with later TY250 twinshock.
I'll have a look for a later one and if there is one, will see if it fits the A model
I don't have any spare TY HT coils. Last time I needed one I bought a chinese HT coil that looked the same, and it worked fine

relax, nothing is under control

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby llewdaert » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:20 pm

Thanks David I really only need a bare backing plate, I have coils and points etc

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Here is a stator plate from a TY250D. I test-fitted it to a TY250A motor and it fits fine. $20 plus postage. I can take it back to a bare plate to make it lighter for posting if you want
IMAG3276[1].jpg
IMAG3276[1].jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 17068 times

I also found two complete TY250 stators. One of them (B model) looks great and I'm sure is in working order because it has run the motor it is fitted to. The other one (D model) looks OK but has not been tested

llewdaert
B grade participant
B grade participant

Postby llewdaert » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:54 am

Thankyou David
Please send me a PM with your payment details and I will organise.
I am interested if you know if the A model has slotted backing plate for rotation /timing adjustment ?

David Lahey wrote:Here is a stator plate from a TY250D. I test-fitted it to a TY250A motor and it fits fine. $20 plus postage. I can take it back to a bare plate to make it lighter for posting if you want
IMAG3276[1].jpg

I also found two complete TY250 stators. One of them (B model) looks great and I'm sure is in working order because it has run the motor it is fitted to. The other one (D model) looks OK but has not been tested

David Lahey
Champion
Champion

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:12 pm

I just looked up the parts numbers for stator plates in three Yamaha parts books (TY250A, TY250A/B and TY250C) and they all had the same part number. I also checked the engine number on the bottom end I reckon is from an A model and that I test fitted the stator plate to, and it was 434 - 01XXXX. I have not gone to the trouble of pulling my (very early) TY250A ride bike apart for a look.

I've not seen any 1970s Yamaha dirt bike with slotted stator plate holes. I know they are slotted on Bultacos etc, but it is not the Yamaha way, probably because there is really only one ideal location for the coil to be, relative to the passing magnet at the time the points open, so at any location other than the ideal, the voltage pulse generated will be less than at the ideal location. I've never had a problem getting the timing right on a Yamaha just by changing the points gap.

I will send a PM with bank details and will go to the post office to find out how much postage will be.

I've removed the points and condenser so the plate is flatter for posting and to save weight, but can put the bits in a bag and post them too, but it might cost a bit more for postage. Please tell me what you want so I can go to the post office

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”