Removing carbon

Need help finding information or parts for that old machine in your shed? Someone in here will know!

Moderator: Moderators

Phil 850
A grade participant
A grade participant

Removing carbon

Postby Phil 850 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:03 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this question.
There is a huge amount of carbon buildup in the exhaust of my Cota 172 I am restoring.
Any suggestions for the best/easiest removal method.
On my sprint kart I used to put a blow torch into the muffler and burn the carbon out. But it was a simple straight exhaust that I could remove the baffling and scrape the remnants out with a screwdriver.

Guy53
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Ty250A
Club: ATAQ

Re: Removing carbon

Postby Guy53 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:00 am

That's what I do with my TY Ts, but it can't be done on some exhaust.
Guy

Phil 850
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Phil 850 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:10 am

Thanks Guy.
I'll see how it goes.

Phil

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:34 am

I partially fill it with old sump oil, block off the ends, turn it so it coats everypart of the inside,leave it for a week, then do the same with degreaser, then blow it out with water with home made nozzles[made from copper tubing.

Phil 850
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Phil 850 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:40 pm

pop wrote:I partially fill it with old sump oil, block off the ends, turn it so it coats everypart of the inside,leave it for a week, then do the same with degreaser, then blow it out with water with home made nozzles[made from copper tubing.

So does the oil/degreaser dissolve the carbon/oil from the engine and allow this to run out with the water pressure ?

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:02 pm

Yes, that's what the aim is. Can depend on the 2 stroke oil used in the bike, castor oil is harder to loosen, so is outboard oil which seems to turn into lumps and solidify. Anyway you do it its a messy job.

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:47 am

This option might be a bit antisocial if you live in the 'burbs, but it works a treat and is not hard. I made a woodfire in a 44 gallon drum, put the zorst in and burned the crap out. (Not on a fire-ban day!)

Phil 850
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Phil 850 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Thanks all
I did some googling as well and there are all sorts of concoctions, but the most common is a blow torch and the pressure wash to remove the remaining carbon.
I did a bit of torch work yesterday and it started to clean up.
The little stinger silencer on the end burned for a long time by itself and finished up only half its original weight once all the oil residue was burnt out.
Will attack it again next weekend.

Stanm
A grade participant
A grade participant

Postby Stanm » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi
Just a word of warning. I built a fire and tossed my ty250 exhaust on it several years ago and it burnt the guts out of it and the exhaust was stuffed. Too much heat can burn out the old packing inside the main chamber and change the exhaust characteristics. Not sure if other bikes are the same as the ty.

Cheers

Stan

Jools
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: TL125 TY175 GG280
Club: VJMC

Postby Jools » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:49 pm

AFAIK The packing should only be around the baffle, which you remove before burning out anyway.
Even if it's not, (is there any packing in the main chamber?) - it'd be so full of oil and carbon you don't want it in there anyway! Burn it out! :twisted:
Change exhaust "characteristics"? -We're not talking highly tuned 2T motors here are we?

Return to “Twinshock & Classic Trials”