Chain Lubes

Got a technical question? Ask it in here.

Moderator: Moderators

holster
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 300 ACR
Club: WDTC

Chain Lubes

Postby holster » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:43 am

Hi

I'm interested in what chain lubes people use and what they think of them.

I had a can of Motul (I think) that was OK. Then I tried some Castrol O-R. It flies off really easily so I'm looking to get something different before it's even finished. I read some stuff online about some DuPont stuff (US) that is no longer available.
My 2 main priorities are ease of application and low fling (so boiling the chain in a tin of wax/grease is not for me).

All opinions appreciated

Cheers
Holy

David Lahey
Champion
Champion
Bike: Many Twinshocks
Club: CQTC Inc, RTC Inc

Re: Chain Lubes

Postby David Lahey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:32 pm

I spray it with WD40 while the chain is still wet from post-ride washing to get rid of the water, then before I do practice or a trial, I spray the chain with INOX. It seems to last well enough for a two-day event

relax, nothing is under control

Gomey
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: Honda RTL
Club: SQTA/LRMTC

Postby Gomey » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 pm

I have used Bel-Ray Super Clean for years. Goes on quite thin then dries to a white waxy substance. Doesn't seem to fling off at all. Not cheap but is the cleanest I have used.

Mark G

WJR001
Junior participant
Junior participant
Bike: Beta Rev 3
Club: DMCC

Postby WJR001 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:44 pm

Good day,

I have tried many chain lubes, however I keep coming back to Motul offroad for the trials and flat track bikes.

Cheers Wayne

eagle
A grade participant
A grade participant
Bike: Honda tlr 250
Club: oakleigh

Postby eagle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:30 pm

Have to say i'm not a fan of chain lubes, i've been told all they do is attract dirt & from my years of using crc,wd40 or innox on a good quality xring chain i think i get a fair use out of my chains! i bought a Sherco 300i in 2015 i've done 2000klm & the rear sprocket & chain will still probably see another couple hundred klm before i need to replace it

pop
Expert participant
Expert participant
Bike: klx

Postby pop » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Just few drops of synthetic oil on the rear sprocket about 1oclock is enough, spin it around few times , any more or less = big wear.

holster
C grade participant
C grade participant
Bike: 2011 Sherco 300 ACR
Club: WDTC

Postby holster » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:06 pm

I bought a can of Silkolene Titanium Dry Lube - does exactly what I was looking for (no fling, little mess, easy to apply). It also has the white waxy coating so it is easy to see when the whole chain has been hit.

I apply it after each wash and it seems to disperse the water so I don't bother with the WD40 step.
I like the idea of the INOX and will probably use this if I run out of the other stuff (and before I use the Castrol rubbish again). I use INOX on the garage roller door springs to stop them squeaking.

Cheers
Holy

Return to “Technical help”